Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - axle end play
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

axle end play
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeke57

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here is where I am at. I reassembled everything the way it came apart torqued bolts to be 30. I had .010 on p/s removed thinnest shim and retorqued ended up with 0 end play so I put the shim back which leaves me at.010 on that side. On the d/s I have .015. This side has two thicker shims which I did not attempt to remove fearing if I did I would be at 0. I know it is out of spec but it is it acceptable or will I have problems down the road.
Ray101

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't put it toghether that loose or you will shorten the life of your bearings and possibly end up with bearing noise in your rear end. If you don't want to buy a new shim set you can sand down your shims if they aren't paper thin. I hate to admit it but I have done this myself either with a sander/die grinder or by putting a large sheet of sandpaper on a flat surface and rubbing the shim over it, .008 is kind of a lot to this way though. either way you need a shim thats not to thin so it does fold up on you while you are trying to do this.
zeke57

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After watching that you tube video I am wondering if I should start over again. In the video the mechanic bolted the bearing retainer to the axle flange and then hit each axle a couple of times with a dead blow hammer to drive the bearing race against the retainer a step that I did not take and a step that he stated was important. Could this be why my end play is out of whack? I also see that he used some rtv on the backing plate before he installed it again something I did not do. Is it necessary to do so?
Ray101

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He does his end play a little different that I do. He hits his axles back to insure the bearing cup is against the retainer. I leave my bearing cups sticking out so they are pulled in by the retainer. Either way you have to make sure your cups are up against the retainer or while driving it will get pushed out and your end play will increase. Since you already have yours together I would hit your axles with a dead blow and recheck. As far as the RTV on the backing plate I don't think it is necessary because any leakage at this point is out side your brakes. If you did seal it and had leakage it would come out that hole on the backside any way.
zeke57

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the same as you Ray I left the cones out a little so like you said the retainer would suck them in. I will try tapping on the axles and see what happens.
zeke57

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried tapping the axles in but it had no effect. Guess I will have to adjust the shims.
zeke57

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I will order a shim kit tomorrow as I think I have done all I can with what I have to work with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: