Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - m38 tank liner problem and fuel line shutoff
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

m38 tank liner problem and fuel line shutoff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jake266

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: m38 tank liner problem and fuel line shutoff Reply with quote

When the old liner started coming off and damaged the engine causing major repairs, the shop had the tank cleaned and relined. It's been just over a year and the stuff is bubbling and coming off and might be part of my issue in keeping the vehicle running now. I found lining material in the gas once I drained the tank.
A mechanic suggested I look into a bladder for inside the tank since he doesn't like any of the new liner material and how it reacts to todays fuel.
Anyone ever heard of a bladder for these tanks? If so, where can I find one?
He also suggested I replace the inline shutoff since it spins like a top. Any idea where I can find one of those?
Any help would be appreciated.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake,

I have always held no respect for any tank linings. They invariably end up separating from the tank's inside walls sooner or later. There are no bladders I am aware of that will mate to your tank.

Stop working the same football and just bite the bullet and remove all traces of any foreign material from inside the tank. How. That's easy, cut the top off and bead blast the whole interior and weld the top back on. Sound like a big deal but for an experienced welder it is a piece of cake. The best cure to prevent more corrosion from taking place in your tank is to keep it FULL.

The tank shutoff is just a simple brass ball valve. Get into an online plumbing catalog that list Weatherhead (Eaton) valves with 18" pipe female threads on each end. IE

https://www.motionindustries.com/productDetail.jsp?sku=00334931

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Jake266

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes,
Thanks for responding again. Apparently, not only the tank was coated but the extendable neck too and that's where the stuff has come off, again, and is causing me problems. Hopefully it was caught early enough this time. I try to keep the tanks full on all my vehicles specifically to prevent moisture buildup. This one was down to about half when she stopped running. I took some pics once I was able to convince the sleeve to come all the way up & out. The screening at the bottom has some holes in it and doesn't cover the entire opening anymore. In your opinion, should this be replaced and if so, I can't see how it is attached to the neck. Do they make a plastic tank and I could just keep the old one for when my wife sells it? The shutoff should be easy enough to find witht he info you supplied. Thanks for that too.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If what you want is a reliable tank then I would haul your old tank to a shop that fabricates stainless steel tanks and have them copy it. The sliding tube and screen is only there for refueling in the field where most tankers were exposed to the elements and often had trash in their fuel tanks to transfer to your vehicle. Once you've installed a stainless tank you will never raise the driver's seat again!

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Jake266

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: It's back running Reply with quote

Well, with the guidance and assistance of a mechanic, we were able to clean out the fuel system of the lining material scraped from the tank sleeve, replace one filter and all is fine now. I left the sleeve out and will have to have it bead blasted to remove the lining material I could not remove. Learned a lot and I was told, bring it back anytime, it was fun and good having a student. There you go. I did change out the shutoff valve and retained the original one. I decided to leave the throttle and primer disconnected for now but it ran great.
Thanks for the help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: