Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - a1 clutch
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

a1 clutch
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4x4M38

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grizzly has a decent inside/outside micrometer that goes on sale from time to time with a package magnet mount dial indicator, all in one box.

The dial indicator is essential when rebuilding the tranny and transfer.

Remember, you will also need to measure the input shaft diameter.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
zeke57

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would something like this be sufficient? I have also seen them for under $10 and in between and of course higher.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C94MHJ4/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07C94MHJ4
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get what you pay for. That one shows a price of $31.99 so I would suspect it to be average to higher quality.

Remember, the caliper is only one step up from the plain ruler for measurement accuracy. To play auto mechanic you must still invest in a Micrometer (Inside & Outside) and a dial indicator. Before you start grabbing new tools ask yourself just how far you want to go with this. This means evaluate just what you intend to do yourself and what you intend to hire out. Then decide based on price review what is the best way to get this tool to use (Ie. borrow, rent , buy).

To do a job on your jeep properly you will need one or more of these often. There is no way around it unless you want to sacrifice reliability, safety and quality. You will need to either buy, borrow, rent, hire it out.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
zeke57

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So would the micrometer I referenced be ok for now and would it be recommended or is there another that would be better? I know you get what you pay for but I am not sure how much I need to spend to get an accurate measurement. I have seen $10 mics and $500 mics but does more money mean more accuracy which is bottom line what you want out of one. I guess I just want to get the tool that will do the job without breaking the bank. If this was a tool I would use constantly or in a profession I could see laying out more cash but that is not the case.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you are doing is hee hawing around. If you won't get the right tool then just take the problem part to the machine shop and pay to have it measured. Unless you want to repeat these tasks over and over again do it right the first time. That pilot bushing can cost you many hours of extra labor later if you ignore it or take a cheap non-professional stab at it. No the slide type caliper is not accurate enough for the task. I keep one around for very simple not so important measurements. When the reading I get on it seems very close then I'll get the obviously more accurate inside or outside micrometer to verify the parts real condition. We can't decide for you just how good or bad you will perform the needed tasks on your jeep. We can only advise based on our experience and you must carry the ball.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
zeke57

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do want to get the right tool to do the job right the first time but I have limited experience in this area but I am trying to learn. That is why I joined this site to hopefully get some help when I encounter a problem I am not familiar with. So if I am on the wrong track as far as micrometers go could you suggest what type I should be looking for. Thank you.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either you are not reading my posts or one of us is blind. Did I not post a big photo showing you literally what to look for? Confused

Here it is again:

Each one is an excellent middle of the road choice. They are mid priced and again I say: "You get what you pay for!" If these prices are not within your expense limits then your choices haven't changed. If you buy junk tools and foul the job up, is it worth it? So if the price is beyond your limits then take the job to a shop that is properly equipped.

zeke57

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do read the postings and I am sure my vision is fine but some of your statements seem contradictory at least to me. In your last post with the picture of the measuring devices you state "each one is an excellent middle of the road choice" but in one of the earlier posts you state "no the slide type caliper is not accurate enough for the task ". Is the $32 digital caliper in your post not a slide type since the jaws slide back and forth on the scale? I have seen some good used quality dial calipers on ebay would those be ok or would they fall under the category of "slide type calipers "?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are wearing me thin here!

I said the slide caliper was not the correct choice in measuring devices to accurately enough measure the parts you need to measure. It is still a handy tool for less accurate requirements. There is no contradiction in my posts.

You have simply fixated on the cheapest tool to do a job that requires accuracy beyond it's means and now you are narrowly focused on making that tool sound like a blessing. It is not.

zeke57

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for all the misunderstanding on my part Wes I did not mean to irritate you. As you said you are a pro with years of experience I on the other hand am attempting this project for the first time so I am not familiar with all the procedures and tools and terminology. I am trying to soak up everything you are saying but sometimes if I do not completely understand I will ask again to make sure I have it right. I appreciate you taking your valuable time and sharing your expertise to help me/us out and in the future I will make sure to read the posts twice or more before I reply.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: