Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor
TM9-8015-1 Clarification
Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - 1953 M38A1 USMC project Jeep
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1953 M38A1 USMC project Jeep
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Will1981

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

longld wrote:
Different views are coming but I don't like a new tub -seems you are not restoring history anymore but building a kit car - might as well put an S10 chassis underneath it too.....harsh, I know...I like the character of an old metal box that is dinged up like this old man.....

I'm not sure I follow. I don't plan to change the tub, I would like to keep as much of it original as I can. We might have to weld in new floor pans to combat the rot though. I was more talking about finding the cowl, the part between the hood and the windshield. I might be calling it the wrong name as i am REALLY new to all of this.
longld

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, i misread your comment about your dad wanting a new tub....
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You hang in there and a used cowl or used battery box & lid will show up. I recall having an old M38 & Ma38A1 box & lid some time ago. I’ll have a look around.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Last edited by wesk on Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Will1981

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, that would be awesome!! Any tips on researching the Jeep? the serial is MD62020 but i dont know how to use that info?

i have reached out to the previous two owners, trying to find names of all the previous owners to see what they can tell me.

i updated an engine gallery in my gallery. Good news, the engine isnt locked up!!
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main problem with wheeled military vehicles is all their maintenance records are canned 6 months after they are turned in to DRMO for disposal. The only clue to military history will be what you find under any original paint. Such as unit symbols.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Will1981

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, so far on the project we have gone from this:

to this:

and discovered this:

On the bright side, everything is off the frame, and I have a lead on a M171 head we can use along with an entire 50's ish CJ5 that we can part out for several of the missing engine components for the low low price of $250.

the frame is in remarkably good condition, so I am really stoked about that. and the body tub isn't quite as bad as we thought. a couple of floor pans and Hat Channels and we should be in business. From the underside, you can really see where a past owner covered up the battery box opening so we can most likely cut that back out and bring the cowl back to life. I have a feeling I will be learning a lot about body work in the near future.

Current list of big items we need:
Battery box and lid
both front fenders
gas tank
gas tank pan (floor)
window frame
driver side seat frame (im going to attempt to repair it, but its pretty shot)
Drum Brakes, rear
and im sure this is just the tip of the ol' iceberg.

Thanks for all the tips, and please feel free to keep them coming as we progress down this rabbit hole.

I have updated my gallery here, and as always I have high res photos on my google drive linked at the top of the thread.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't the CJ5 parts jeep come with a windshield frame? You can adapt it to the A1.

Will1981

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesk wrote:
Didn't the CJ5 parts jeep come with a windshield frame? You can adapt it to the A1.

yes it did, however the windshield frame on the donor jeep is rotted out by the hinges, same place the M38A1 is cracked at oddly enough.

The donor jeep also has a dummy battery box lid on the cowl that seems weird, but who knows.

are there any differences between the Civy and the Military F134 engines that i should be aware of before we cannibalize the civy engine?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
are there any differences between the Civy and the Military F134 engines that i should be aware of before we cannibalize the civy engine?

Distributor, fuel pump, Cuno oil filter M38 and early M38A1 vs Fram or Puralator civvy oil filter. Double groove pulleys.

Quote:
he donor jeep also has a dummy battery box lid on the cowl that seems weird, but who knows.

The M38A1 started production in 1952. The CJ5 wasn't born till 1955. The early CJ5 tubs inherited several traits from the M38A1 tubs. The hole in the cowl and the tacked on cover lasted untill 1964 I think on the CJ5. That opening in the cowl is a perfect candidate for your chopped out A1's battery box cowl form.

Will1981

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: How to Identify this serial number Reply with quote

Hi Guys, do any of you know how to interpret this serial number from the transmission housing? J 195160
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Browne-Lipe was a subsidiary of Spicer. That plate is on the D-18 transfer case not the Spicer T90 tranny.

Will1981

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: History Search Reply with quote

Well, I have been doing some phone calling and Facebookingto previous owners of the Jeep. Unfortunately the 6th guy I spoke with only got me back to 1988, and he bought it from a now gone body shop in Meridian, ms.

It was really cool listening to all the stories about kids driving it through pastures and ponds. Sounds like this Jeep has a lot of memories associated with it.

What I know know.
88-2000 - transmission replaced with a t90 from an old truck
Early 2000 - rear axel replaced with identical axel from a cj5
2010ish, front drum brakes replaced, brake master cylinder rebuilt.
Will1981

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some tinkering around, we were able to get the jeep to fire off last night. Still a good bit of engine repair to do, but at least it lives!

https://www.facebook.com/wkgage/videos/10104029048282006/
mdainsd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is always an encouraging event! Very Happy
'52 Dodge M37, '42 GPW, '48 FrankenJeep CJ2A/M38, '50 CJV-35(U), '51 M38, '42 WC-57 Command Car, '44 WC-51 Weapons , (2) M1941 Sperry 60" Anti-Aircraft Searchlights, John Deere M-gator, '44 White M3A1 Scout Car
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: