Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Restoration site
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Restoration site
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Announcements, News, Humor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff_H

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understand about the camera!!!

Have added this site to my links page, however when I just checked the page did not load correctly (it sometimes takes a while for my newly uploaded pages to appear on my server).

Doubt I'll get rid of the M101 as it looks great and draws a few looks behind my Durango on the way to the dump.

cheers

Jeff
m38olddog

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really a terrific website Jeff! A really high-quality production! My first stop was the body work section, as that is what's on my to-do list this year. I think it's great you showed the little "oops" here and there, along with the final great outcome. It gives me hope that I can manage to pick up this MIG stuff, even if I'm not perfect at first. You've got a great sense of humor too. I'll be checking back to follow your progress. Thanks! Very Happy

Dave
M38A1 2/55, MD81433, U.S. ARMY 2A3514
M100 Dunbar Kapple, ?/51, #15122
Jeff_H

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I found out why my pages wouldn't load correctly, I had exceeded the storage limit at my web site provider. So I have created my own site at www.m38jeepproject.com. You can go direct or the old site shows the link.

cheers

Jeff
ChuckW

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff - what kind of bending brake did you buy? Been looking for one myself, what kind of deal did you get & where? Nice site, keep it up!
Dixie Division MVC #002
1952 M38/M100
M274A2
1964 CJ3B
Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff, I really like your rotessorie. I would like to see more detailed photos and some information on how to build one. At present I have been man handeling my tub as I work on it.
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,

Same here! That looks like a great little gadget! Cool
Jeff_H

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the rottisserie has come in handy very handy if for no other reason than it lets me put the yub on its side and push it against the wall when I need it out of the way. I took some pictures of the rottisserie and the sheet metal brake and will update my site either tonight or tommorrow with further info on each. Thanks for all your positive comments, it encourages me to continue posting stuff to the website.

cheers

Jeff
Jeff_H

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't visited the site in a while there are many updates. There is a video of replacing a damaged section and update photo's. The tub is almost ready to paint.

cheers

Jeff
Willys-51

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff, why aren't you my neighbor? The video is priceless! What you are doing with the jeep and the fact that you are documenting and sharing it with us is a valuable asset to "us" novice metal workers.

I just bought a welder, a cut off tool and have the grinder, but am terrified to get out there and start butchering it up. Your site, the photo's and the video is giving me the confidence to do it.

THANKS!

Jim
Jeff_H

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliment!

When I started I was in a similar boat as you ( although I do belong to a good local club with knowledgable, helpful members) and found a few neat websites dealing with restorations. Mostly I started documenting my progress with pictures to be able to look back on the project in future. I then realized that a website would be a good way to do it and might be of value to others.

Things I have learned so far:

- The stream of sparks off a grinder will burn through a shirt, undershirt and a pair of pants in no time flat!!!.
- Regardless of what you see on American Chopper a pair of welding gloves and a face shield are a must!!! I bought an auto-darkening helmet after getting fed up with trying to guess where the weld was going to start.
- Do you have the gas attachment for your welder? Flux core wire is too hot for the thin sheet and you will likely burn through a lot. Shielding gas is a better route.
- Wise words passed to me "learn to weld or learn to grind". Without a recent formal course (high school was so long ago) I started with the later and am slowly moving toward the former.
- Depending on the extent of the repairs you have to do, your shop will get filthy from the grinding dust and the wheels/discs themselves. At least wear a dust mask (gloves and hearing protection recommended).
- It takes 5 times longer and costs twice as much as estimated.
- judisously placed hydraulic jacks, wedges, porta-power,etc work incredibly better than a bigger hammer. If you stop and think you'll be surprised what you can come up with to push and pull the panels to take out dents and creases and line things up.
-don't worry too much about making mistakes, a poor small patch can always be replaced with a larger patch(s).
-don't start with a critical repair. Start with simple repairs and work your way up.

Hope this helps and I will continue to add updates as time permits. I am currently busy filling the small holes that don't belong, sanding and yes putting in the odd bit of body filler. Hopefully I will paint it by this weekend (I have the week off work)

Best of luck on your project.

cheers

Jeff
Willys-51

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,

I appreciate your learning tips, especially about grinding. When I recently told a friend that I had purchased a welder, he asked, "Did you buy an eraser too?" Puzzled, I asked him what an eraser was. He said simply, a grinder, because you'll be erasing a lot of your work. Words of wisdom I'm sure. Also, about the gas attachement. My welder can use either the flux core or gas. I haven't purchased the gas bottle and valve assembly yet. Wasn't going to until you suggested it. Which brings us to one of your other points, "It takes 5 times longer and costs twice as much." That will be me.

Anyway, please keep up with the web site. By the way, I too built a garage onto the side of my house to accomodate my toys and tools. It's roughly 21'X24' and 2 stories tall. The first floor has a 10' ceiling and a 5'X10' opening in the floor to the second story to lift big stuff upstairs. The 3 ton chain hoist I have works just fine. If I knew how to post photos to the web I would share some of them.

Jim
Jeff_H

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a short note to let you know I have some new photos at the site. Just some small items, but mostly just to show my new sandblast cabinet.

Jeff
Bob_C
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty spiffy Jeff!

The company I work for has been pretty leanent in letting me use their sandblaster when I get off of my shift so long as no one else important needs it - and they're only 15 minutes away from me, which is pretty good -- but it can be a hassle to run back and forth a few times a day to just sandblast parts. I've been thinking of getting one myself, but I'm not so sure if its worth it since I might need a bigger air compressor. The one where I work is powered by some ungodly, massive, 26,000$ aircompressor that runs the whole shop (from paint guns to impact wrenches) - but needless to say, itll zap that corrosion and old paint right off in no time flat.

What kind of air compressor do you have powering that thing? Do you have to periodically wait for it to catch up before you can continue blasting the part?

By the way, all your work looks good! I hope mine comes out that well.
Jeff_H

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind comments!!

The compressor I use I got at Home Depot its specs are as follows:

HUSKY
7 Peak HP 60 Gal Husky Compressor
Model VT6314

A solid CAST IRON, twin cylinder compressor pump for extreme durability. Offers 135 PSI maximum pressure and air delivery 11.7/10.3 SCFM @ 40/90 PSI. It also has a space saving vertical design that is perfect for your home garage or work shop. The compressor also includes an efficient Solberg style intake filter, pre-plumbed globe valve, pressure switch, and tank pressure gauge.

• Up to 5,000 hours of extended life
• A CAST IRON oil-lubricated pump with traditional design that is quieter and longer lasting
• 60 Gallon vertical, space saving tank design
• Powerful, 7.0-peak horsepower motor provides significant air to multiple power tools
• Automotive style changeable air filter
• Protective belt guard
• High quality oversized gauges
• 1070 Pump RPM
• Three-year limited warranty
• Over 35 percent quieter and 60 degrees cooler than aluminum pumps with cast iron sleeves

Store SKU # 710098
Internet # 167502
Catalog # 100083906
Price: $429.00/ea

The compresor is rated for continuous duty if you use synthetic oil in the pump. If I set the cabinet to around 80 PSI I can do a fairly long run before the noise of the compresor makes me take a break.

If I every have to replace it I will get one that can put out 17 CFI or more.

cheers

Jeff
Jeff_H

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after doing a bunch of work around the house for the summer I finally have some time to work on the jeep and update my site. For the latest go to:http://www.m38jeepproject.com/

JH
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Announcements, News, Humor All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: