Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Transmission tower leaking
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transmission tower leaking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Transmission tower leaking Reply with quote

I thought my trans was leaking when I poked my head under the Jeep. After taking the floor out I realized all the fluid was coming from the trans tower boot. So I think the fluid is being slung up into the tower and then migrating out where the gear shift stick comes out of the transmission. The tower retainer and cover are tight, so it must be coming out where stick comes out of the trans. I thought there might be a felt up there, but the manual says no. Any thoughts? 1952 M38 T90 trans. Spicer 18 TC
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your shift lever should be tightly sealed by the boot illustrated below and a clamp at both the top & bottom.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
RonD2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll jump on the obvious.......I thought the boot (clamped top and bottom) is to keep water and crud out ---- not leaks in. Shocked Laughing

Gear oil being slung up the tower and out the top of the shifter around the cane? Would the transmission have to be way overfilled to do that? I believe the top cover gasket bolts are supposed to be sealed?

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One step at a time Ron!

I have never measured the height of the gear cluster oil slinging but it stands to reason that an overserviced tranny would have a higher reach.

Do you know the normal reach height of the oil spray that the gear sets toss upward at cruise and during acceleration in the lower gear ranges?

Of course it would usually require the transfer case to be full to the top before you could overservice the tranny since the fluid tends to transfer to the transfer case from the tranny.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Bobber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I filled the trans and the TC to the height of the fill plug. When oil starts coming out where you fill it, stop pumping in oil. I didn't clamp either end of the boot. The tranny is sitting up about 1/2 high than it was with the original L134 motor. I put a Kubota Diesel in it last summer raising the tranny a little. I didn't notice it doing this before the motor swap. I find it hard to believe that raising it some would make that much of a difference. I could be wrong, I've been wrong before. Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: