Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - wiring help needed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

wiring help needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeke57

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: wiring help needed Reply with quote

Before I install the tub back on my jeep I would like to test fire the engine to see what I have as I have never heard it run only problem is the ignition system is totally disconnected. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how to proceed? I am doing a 12v conversion with an alternator and electronic distributor, thanks.
4x4M38

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search for test wiring or harness or Wes will chime in. He had a very simple test harness for exactly what you are looking for.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeke, First lets be clear about your distributor. The original stock 24V distributor was an electrical distributor that used a mechanical opened set of contact points to trigger the coil. If you install a Pertronics Hall effect sensor to replace the points you still have a simple electrical distributor that triggers the coil with a magnetic pulse. This is also true of any civvy distributor you install a Pertronics hall effect sensor in. What we know today as "ELECTRONIC" distributors are those controlled by a computer and are capable of changing their timing as directed by the computer when it's sensor show a need for a change.

To provide you with a simple quick harness for your ignition system you need to tell us exactly what make and model coil and distributor you are using. As well as what part number Pertronix Kit. Finally you must let us know if your coil has a built in resistor or needs an external ballast resistor.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
zeke57

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailed a request for info on the coil waiting for a reply. As for the distributor it came with the jeep and I see no indications on it anywhere as far as make or model number. I have a picture of it I am trying to post but am having no success and I am following the directions on this site. Will keep trying.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The directions on this site for photo posting are based on posting of photos stored online in non-password protected files. The software for this web site does not provide for posting photos here directly from those files stored on your computer.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
jnissen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes photos will help. I recently had the same issue with a fresh frame up restore. Before we installed the tub we wanted to fire up the engine. Our distributor was already converted to 12V some years earlier and we only recently installed a magnetic trigger to replace the points. Two wires exit our distributor (see pic). One goes to the positive side of the coil and the other to the negative side of the coil. The positive side of the coil also has a wire going to a ballast resistor and then to the 12V switched supply from a key switch.

The key switch start wire goes to our starter relay input. If your using an external relay go to the coil terminal of the relay to the start on the switch. Used heavy cables to the main starter and a 12 gauge wire from the battery to the "+" side of the key switch. If you r using a single wire alternator then not much to wire up but back to the battery and of course a good ground from the battery. Sorry but pic shows up huge.

zeke57

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks jnissen this gives me a good starting point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: