Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Paint color of small M38 parts, shocks?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Paint color of small M38 parts, shocks?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1951m38

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject: Paint color of small M38 parts, shocks? Reply with quote

Is there a listing anywhere of what color all the various pieces and parts in an M38 are ? I searched the site and found a few references here and there, but not a "full " list.

Specifically the color of the shocks, I had assumed they were OD but then saw some references to they being black ? Also the fording cable clamp brackets. I think the one that mounts on the carb base Is natural, but what about the one that mounts on the firewall? A listing or any thoughts would sure be helpful

Thanks. Tim

PS I originally posted this message under the project forum, then realized it probably should have been here, apologizes.
Tembek

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: I'm looking too Reply with quote

Any luck? I'm looking for a comprehensive guide as well. Trying to figure out the colors for the frame, suspension, brakes, etc.

Looks like the body and engine are OD, but the air cleaner and generator are black satin. The carb and fuel pump are just the bare metal/galvanized I think.

Jim
4x4M38

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple of posts one from Wes for sure referencing
Ryan's book regarding painting. Search a little more. It's all
here.

Here's one for the engine compartment:
http://www.m38a1.com/Resources/color_markings.htm
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Tembek

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Brian, I've been searching but not having much luck. I'll order the book!

I see you're in the hill country. Anywhere near Kerrville?

Jim
4x4M38

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim,
I'll look some more for you.

I'm aout an hour and a half north of Kerrville.

We have folks in a Houston. Lived there since 74 off and on.

Take care,
Brian
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much of the running gear was installed and then was painted OD at the factory. Below is a photo from WWII production that is also in the vintage photo gallery on this website.

I have more photos somewhere around 1951 of the pickup production line running gear going through and most everything is installed except wiring and the body. Will have to look through my stuff and find those.

Things that were black: air filter and brackets, radiator, volt reg, generator,

Second style cast iron brake master cylinder: yellow

I have packaged NOS light switch dated 1951 and the green color is lighter and more green than the OD2430.

That is what I remember off the top of my head. Will have to look through my stuff - that was why I did the book - it was a culmination of information and we decided to use it to help fund the website and fund more Willys Overland research - which it has.

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with paint color cataloging for the M38A1 is it has not had the long term hobby following of the WWII jeeps which also had tons of factory data opened to those hobbyist to nail down all the production details. It will take several more years to nail down all the M38's original as delivered component colors. In the interim We have several thousand photographs in our member's albums, Ryan's Book that accounts for some of the colors and a forum where we can introduce answers to more of these questions.

My photo album:
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

If you review my album carefully there are quite a few of NOS and factory original engine photos.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Jeff_Lee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SIGN OF THE TIMES...
Note the lack of respirators on this WWII paint line. One painter has on some canvas gloves.
I guess the overhead DeVilbiss Exhaust System did some good. And the old enamels will kill you slower then modern isocyanates...
1954 Ford F-100 Parts chaser - blueprinted Y-Block
Southeast Florida
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: