Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Brake Light Switch
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brake Light Switch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M38MN

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Brake Light Switch Reply with quote

I'm on my 3rd new brake light switch. Lights and wiring are good, verified by using a jumper wire. With no continuity across terminals I bought a new switch. Installed with the same results. Called in a friend, we verified we had fluid by slowly depressing the pedal with a finger over port and it moved the finger and shot about 8" or so. Determined it was a bad "new" switch. Got replacement with same results. Got another from different store with same results. Filled the switch with fluid to maybe help? The 3rd switch is a NAPA SL134. Thoughts?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying that with at least 40 or 50 PSI of brake fluid pressure an ohm meter indicates no continuity across the switch's contacts?

Some hydraulic brake systems operate with as much as 600 PSI. 1 or 2 PSI can make an 8" squirt. If you do not have a way to accurately pressure test all three of your switches, save yourself a lot of time and money and take all three to an automotive shop that can do the pressure check properly checking contacts with an ohm meter.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
jnissen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ran into a faulty switch in our rebuild and replaced it with a different one and it's been working just fine. Are you sure of the pressures the switch is seeing? If your brake cylinder is not properly pressurizing the brakes then it likely will never have continuity and more importantly your brakes will never work!

Be careful not to over tighten the switch. I used a large socket and was careful to not get overly aggressive with the ratchet wrench. These things really can be damaged if you use and open end wrench and twist or distort the metal while you torque it down. I could see that causing a problem.

I'd roll the dice and get another new one. Use a full socket and ratchet to install the new one. No need to put gorilla strength on the thing.
M38MN

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not checked the pressure from the Master Cylinder. I did a check ride with the previous owner and at 45 MPH the brakes (which are all new) worked well. When driving around (after buying) down a hill they seemed good. And yes ohm meter indicates no continuity across the switch's contacts. All were installed/removed with a socket and short ratchet to a good snug no leak fit. I doubt I'll find a shop to test the switch(s) but wil try.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And yes ohm meter indicates no continuity across the switch's contacts.

My complete question was:

Quote:
Are you saying that [i]with at least 40 or 50 PSI of brake fluid pressure[/u] an ohm meter indicates no continuity across the switch's contacts?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
M38MN

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on renting, borrowing or buying a pressure test set and verify the pressure at the port before I continue on with any more switches. I'm thinking I may still need to get a low pressure switch [closes @ 45 PSI]. I did some reading on the switches that I've had and although listed as 60 PSI a couple of users have tested them and found that they are closing closer to 80 PSI.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do realize the switches will also respond to good old compressed air. You just need to assemble a collection of necessary adapter fittings and be sure you have an accurate pressure regulator and gauge.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: