Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Weight
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Weight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bamaj

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject: Weight Reply with quote

Does anyone know how much a M38A1 weighs without the motor transmission and transfer case. I going to pick up a parts jeep and I need to be sure that I have enough truck to pull and stop the trailer I will be hauling it with. Thanks Jeff
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be able to tow it with most any half ton truck, I tow my M-38 CDN and M-100 trailer on a 16 foot utility trailer without any problems... I have gone all across the central US and a trip Oklahoma to Maine.

Just practice standard safety practices..

Be Safe
1952 M-100 Strick #104
1951 Willys Wagon (For Sale)
1954 Willys M38A1 201001205
Tornado Alley
Del City, OK
4x4M38

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,
Just balance it properly on the trailer. The weight should be handled by the trailer wheels. You want enough weight on the bumper, and not too much behind the axle. Otherwise the trailer will wag like a dog’s tail.

Depending on your trailer, it might weigh more than the jeep!
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Jeff_Lee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The curb wt is 2700 lbs. Guestimating the engine trans and transfer case at 600-700 lbs
Not including 50 years of mud, grease and Bubba Mods with booger welds, figure about 2000 lbs, and you'd be close.
1954 Ford F-100 Parts chaser - blueprinted Y-Block
Southeast Florida
Jeff_Lee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I towed my M38 home about 700 miles in the back of a covered motorcycle trailer with a 3/4 ton pickup. It had the full drivetrain and booger welds.... barely knew it was there. The M/C ramp wasn't happy with the extra weight, so I put some support under it when we rolled on - off. Probably should have blocked the side-to-side movement better on the slick floor...

It's an adventure!
Jeff
Southeast Florida
bamaj

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be coming from Nashville back to Northwest Alabama. I trying to decide between putting a new set of tires on a set of wheels and putting them on the Jeep and using a tow dolly and pulling it with my Nissan Frontier or renting a 1/2 ton truck and trailer to do the trip with. I hate to spend the money on rent when I could spend it on new tires that I need anyway. Lets hear your opinions. The Jeep rolls good breaks aren't locked up and again nothing but a tub no windshield frame.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using a tow dolly is always a gamble. The last time I used one was at Mt. Pleasant IA in 1999. The seller swore to me she would roll nice and had decent tires. When I got there she had crappy tires. Extremely worn tie rods. I di bring two spares and a large "T" wrench and plenty of PB Blaster and a Mapps torch just in case. Well on interstate 35 20 miles north of Mt. Pleasant the M38 blew a left rear tire. The studs were not rusted they were more like welded. I broke one stud and quit. Drug it to the next exit and pulled it in a truck stop. No maintenance at the truck stop. So I chained the jeep to a lamp post, drug the car tote from under the front wheels. Turned the jeep around and put it against the lamp post and forced the car tote under the back wheels. Remember the worn tie rods. Well I safetied wired them as tight as I could get them. Away I went. At any speed above 40 MPH the jeep would dart left and right into the other lanes. So it was a 300 mile 40 MPH trip.

The moral of this story is a simple one. If the jeep is your daily driver and you want to flat tow or car tote tow it to your hunting camp then go for it. If it is a project or in some other way an unfamiliar jeep NEVER flat tow or car tote tow it. Always get the jeeps wheels off the ground.

Figure 1500 to 2000 lbs and put it on a trailer of some sort and make the trip home once at the speed limit while you enjoy the sights!!!

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
bamaj

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes I can't say I disagree with you. If it can go wrong it will. Just being tight I guess lol.
Jeff_Lee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a light tow.... your Frontier will be fine if it is mechanically fit! U-Haul trailers are not too dear -
go for it.
Southeast Florida
zeke57

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I flat towed my m38a1 535 miles one way with no engine or tranny and questionable tires. 30 miles from home I blew a rear tire but had a spare with me and other than that no problems even towing at 65mph+. I would think if you have good tires fluids in the diffs. brakes not bound up and steering components in good condition you could safely flat tow it. I had never towed anything that far before and did not know what to expect but except for the flat tire it towed really well. Of course your experience could differ from mine.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was trying to be frugal as well. Less than 3 months later I bought a 16 ft car trailer and have never regretted the choice to this day. Also I still have my car tote and I use both but towing antique classics hundreds of miles in it's own wheels will always be a serious and often expensive in time & money choice to make.

This is the way I tow my old jeeps today!

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
zeke57

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last October I bought a parts jeep in NYC some 400 miles away this time I rented a trailer from Uhaul for $75 to bring it back. The trailer is around 1800 lbs. empty so I had to find someone to tow it for me as I drive a wrangler(towing capacity of 2000 lbs.) A trailer is definitely for safety reasons the way to go but there are other options.
whydahdvr

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always tow my M38 on a UHaul 6x12 open cargo trailer - without the ramp. Works a charm. I've towed my jeep over 300 miles in one trip from NJ to MA that way. Never had a problem.
1952 M38
1964 Apollo 5000 GT

De Opresso Liber
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: