Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - a1 marker lights
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

a1 marker lights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeke57

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: a1 marker lights Reply with quote

Debating about converting the front marker lights to blinkers and have seen these amber lenses that supposedly will bolt up to the stock a1 housings and am wondering if that is the case. I read an old posting from this forum and it was stated that these amber lenses that are made for the M151 will work but I spoke to a dealer who sells them and he says they do not fit because of the little tab that is on the lens. Can someone who has done this conversion verify whether or not they bolt up. Thanks all.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you converting the purpose of the single element lamp to blinkers or are you upgrading to a dual filament lamp to retain the front marker function and add the blinker function?

[img]http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?full=1&set_albumName=album41&id=ORD_8712357&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php[/img]
These were meant to be used as an assembly, not by steeling the lens and fitting it to an older Willys front marker lamp body. But if you did the amber unit replaces the whole lens/retainer cover of the old unit and if that small tab at the bottom has an inner tab as well then you would just grind the tab out. I haven't handled one in some time so I'll to locate a spare and see just how much any tab interferes with use of the lens.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
mdainsd

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The amber lenses are part of a kit that includes the lens, the screws and a new rubber gasket. I just did two of these a week ago. Unfortunately, I already threw away the kits boxes.

The only B/O marker light housing that MAY have trouble is the very early one. It did not have a locating tab. The lenses have a tab tat mates perfectly with the housings if they have the tab set up.
'52 Dodge M37, '42 GPW, '48 FrankenJeep CJ2A/M38, '50 CJV-35(U), '51 M38, '42 WC-57 Command Car, '44 WC-51 Weapons , (2) M1941 Sperry 60" Anti-Aircraft Searchlights, John Deere M-gator, '44 White M3A1 Scout Car
mdainsd

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here they are installed:

There are three of those single filament bulb housings.

The earliest has no lens key. It also has a wire coming out through the back with a Douglas connector.

The second one has a key for the lens. It too has a wire coming out the back with a Douglas connector.

And the final one has the key for the lens. This one has a rubber Packard connector in the back, no wire.

I just went out and checked. The lens will fit the early keyless housing as well as the other two.

Sidebar. I am using two of the early housings with the Amber lenses for my WC-57 restoration. The WWII B/O marker lights are small and there is no super clean way to convert them. So the Early M38 housings while a bit longer look as close to factory as one will get. I also converted them so the wire comes out through the center of the mounting bolt, like the WWII versions did.
'52 Dodge M37, '42 GPW, '48 FrankenJeep CJ2A/M38, '50 CJV-35(U), '51 M38, '42 WC-57 Command Car, '44 WC-51 Weapons , (2) M1941 Sperry 60" Anti-Aircraft Searchlights, John Deere M-gator, '44 White M3A1 Scout Car
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can see the complete kit with container in my photo album under "Turn Signals"

These are the M38 & M38A1 front marker lamp bezels and lens which have no locating tabs.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
G740

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midwest Military has them in stock. $14 per kit.
John
zeke57

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are what I have no locating tabs but from what I just read they will work. Thanks Wes and also to you mdainsd.
jnissen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On our M38A1 we left the front black out lens on the housing but did convert the socket to accept a dual element bulb for blinkers. I was surprised that with the bright bulb you can still see the turn indicator fairly well. Not great but it works. Something to consider if your looking to retain that stock look.

BTW - I had to use the shorty style bulbs as there isn't a lot of room in the housing for a standard size large dual element bulb. If your running 24V may be able to still use a 12V bulb if you add a series limiting resistor to them.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your local laws first. They may require a specific color lens and a certain size lens.

jnissen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes very true. IN Texas there is an exemption on military vehicles to even pass a safety inspection. We did one anyway to help push the paperwork. In the process of the inspection the guy looked at all the lights and did not question them. Being an antique they are fairly lenient.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am aware of the exemptions in most states but I still advise each individual when modifying his jeep in regards to roadibility to always check their local motor vehicle laws.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: