Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Leaf springs M38
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Leaf springs M38

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gerry

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 7:13 am    Post subject: Leaf springs M38 Reply with quote

What are the advantages and disadvantages of rearching leaf springs as apposed to buying new ones. Thanks,
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerry,

If you are wanting to keep an original look, then having the springs rearched is a good way to go. Currently, I am not aware of any manufacturer that has spings that look like the originals.

The springs stand out at the front and rear under the frame when looking at a vehicle more so than on most regular vehicles.

Ultimately it is up to you and what makes you happy is what you need to go with.
MajBen
Major, USMC, Retired

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I took mine to a specialized spring shop. That is to say, I took both rear springs, the correct one and the tired one. They completely disassemled both, sandblasted, painted, rearched the tired one to match the correct one and only charged me $90.00. I furnished the USMC paint. Good Luck and BTW, after over 4 years with the M38, I have never been aware of a supply of NOS springs. Semper Fi Ben
Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do they do to rearch a leaf sprin anyway? How is it done? How can you tell if they need rearching? I have seen the specification length, but I am not sure if the measure is taken with the jeeps weight on it or off of it.
Ken
MajBen
Major, USMC, Retired

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Caci, I am no expert on he subject but they way I did mine was to simply do a of measuring without any person or weight in the jeep. It was lower on the drivers side by about 1 3/4" and verious obvious. Looking at the passenger side from the side, it appeared to be nearly level with the front. I am not sure how they did it at shop but I think they played them side by side for comparison. The manual shows exactly what length they should be from center of bolt hole to the other center. With that distance in mind and laying a stright edge across the correct centers one can easily measure the arch by finding the distance from the center of the straight edge to the center of the spring. Hope this helps some, Semper Fi Ben
Gerry

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ben, I was hoping you would answer. I remembered you doing that on the G. I just called a respected spring place near me and it will cost over a $100 per spring and they would put in helper springs so it would no longer look original, So now I dont know what to do. Does anybody know where I can get original looking springs Question My springs had 10 leafs in the front and 11 in the rear. Wes is this the right numbers for a sept 51 ? Did the later m-38 have a different number of leafs than the earlier ones? Thanks for all input,
MajBen
Major, USMC, Retired

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I will help Wes out a bit here by going to page 148 of TM 9-1804B:

Front Spring: Length center to center of eye36 1/4".
No of leaves: 10
Camber under 650 lbs: 3/8"

Rear: Length cent to center of eye 42"
No. of leaves: 11
Camber Under under 800 lbs: 5/8"

Width of both front and center 1 3/4"

My personal view is that I would not want a helper. Besides, if the rerearching is done right, I don't think you will need it. Where do you live? Anywhere near KC, MO?

Hope this helps, Semper Fi Ben BTW, I was never sure whether the eye to eye measurement was for the spring off or on the jeep with tub weight. I just went with what looked right. Wes can educate us on how the camber is applied---I don't have a clue but would venture a guess that is the amount of flex from standing without any weight other than athe tub and with the amount of weight stated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: