Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - 1955 M38A1
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1955 M38A1
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jnissen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Paint and stencils Reply with quote

Sanded down and will respray with a fresh coat of paint this weekend. The hood and tub had different sheens due to.my inability to follow Gillespie’s paint instructions! It should all match this weekend.

That leads to a question when painting the stars and other markings. Are most of you using a stencil and spray or a stencil brush?

Also I’m assuming white flat enamel will be the best paint. Last thing I need is for the stencil paint to react and craze the base coat! Suggestions are appreciated
Engine Plate MD85578
Contrived Hood Number 20974784
jnissen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject: Updated pics Reply with quote

Repainted so at least now all the panels have the same sheen. Added the stars and graphics. Drove it 25 miles to work today for a test and lots of thumbs up! It's not 100% original but it's a driver.

Engine Plate MD85578
Contrived Hood Number 20974784
mdainsd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A real beauty! Good work.

The sheen with Gillespie can be puzzling at first. What I worked out is always reduce with a ratio cup, so it is always the same. Paint in the shade, never in direct sunlight. And finally try to paint on days with the same temp (roughly).
'52 Dodge M37, '42 GPW, '48 FrankenJeep CJ2A/M38, '50 CJV-35(U), '51 M38, '42 WC-57 Command Car, '44 WC-51 Weapons , (2) M1941 Sperry 60" Anti-Aircraft Searchlights, John Deere M-gator, '44 White M3A1 Scout Car
jnissen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good advice. Yeah I learned the hard way to use a consistent mix of paint to reducer. Settled on 5:1 ratio (paint to Xylene) that was good for spraying and reduced the chances for runs.
mdainsd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 5:4 paint to xylene, but I also use HVLP guns.
'52 Dodge M37, '42 GPW, '48 FrankenJeep CJ2A/M38, '50 CJV-35(U), '51 M38, '42 WC-57 Command Car, '44 WC-51 Weapons , (2) M1941 Sperry 60" Anti-Aircraft Searchlights, John Deere M-gator, '44 White M3A1 Scout Car
jnissen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy who sold me the paint recommended the 5:1 ratio. I was using a 2:1 ratio at one time and while it worked it also was fairly thin and I got more runs. Had one batch that was almost gloss like and stopped at that point to determine where I went wrong. Went the the 5:1 and I get a good semi gloss sheen and more important the spray through my 3M Accuspray (orange 1.4mm nozzle) was working well.

BTW - The PPS cup system that 3M has is hard to beat. I have small and large cups and this is so easy to clean up. I'll never go back to the old spray guns.
jnissen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest pics with the new WeeBee Webbing on top. Still need to wet the canvas to shrink it a bit but it's on. Side curtains still TBD waiting on parts.

BTW - At 6'2" I was afraid my head would rub on the top. I still have about 1.5" of room. I guess the Army left a bit of room for helmets!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: