Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Finding archival history for an M38A1
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding archival history for an M38A1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: Finding archival history for an M38A1 Reply with quote

I recieved this email from Mike asking this question:

Quote:
I bought a M38A1 tub in salvageable condition from California salvage yard. The only ID plate was behind the passenger seat which is stamped MD43899. Is there an archive that has any info on this serial number. I am restoring the Jeep and would like to find out the model year, and if I can find the hood markings for the proper number assigned by the Army. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike Mendez

Mike,
There are no military records remaining today for these very old jeeps. The only source for historical info are the marking painted on your jeep.

Any data for your serial number on your tub would only apply to that serial. Since you bought the used tub only with the dash data plates removed then it is not safe for you to attempt to register that jeep with the serial number from the patent plate behind the seat. It is likely that the dash plate set with that same serial is already registered somewhere and any attempt by you to register that serial for a title application would most likely result in a lot of trouble at the DMV office for you.

As for fishing for a hood number it is my policy not to share hood numbers from our data base whne folks intend to just arbitrarily pick one close and use it. I feel that this creates a flood of contrived (Unreal) hood numbers that will only confuse researchers trying to ascertain what is real and what is fake. I have always suggested you use your serial number for the last 5 digits of your hood number and use the remaining 2 or 3 prefix numbers to complete your hood number IE. 20943899.

Hood numbering also depends on which service your jeep represents and it's date of production.
\
I can tell you that that serial MD43899 was built March 1953 & the Army hood # would have started with 209XXXXX. USMC # would start with 19XXXX (here you would insert the last 4 of your serial). USAF would start with 53(AthruG)XXXXX. USN 94-XXXXX.

Wes K

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: