Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38 Light switch and levers
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38 Light switch and levers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ColKilgore2860

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:08 pm    Post subject: M38 Light switch and levers Reply with quote

I am working on a late 1952 M38. I’m a little confused about the light switch.
It is the latest generation, #3 on one of Wes'es explanation photo, oblong with one connector on the back.
To begin with, I misplaced my 3 light switch levers. I ordered replacements.
2 out of the 3 replacements looked a bit smaller, and had a hex-like hole in the back, instead of the elongated “slots” with the rounded ends that my switch requires.

Upon removing the light switch assembly, I noticed that there were two wires that had the Packard ends. I would venture to guess that the light switch may be aftermarket, or updated.
In looking at what is offered for sale, I notice minute differences in these switches. Some have regular slotted screws on the levers, others have Phillips screws.

Rather than buying a new light switch, I will adapt the two Packard wires to Douglas connectors.
So what are the standard light switch lever-to-switch configurations, and how do I specify the correct ones. Do they have different names?

Finally, so I don’t “screw” up on my next trip to the hardware store, what are the screw sizes for (1) mounting the switch to the dash, and (2) mounting the levers to the switch.

Thank you!
M38A1 & M38
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The levers you purchased are for the early two Bendix switches. They are procurable because the two style Bendix switches were rebuildable in the field and their parts are listed in the ORD 9. The modern single plug switch that showed up late 1952 is a throw away switch and was not rebuildable in the field thus no individual parts listing for them. The screws for the levers were the same Fillister Head, slotted 8-32 x 1/2" The 4 mounting screws were the same for either switch.

The full size easier to read version is at this link: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?full=1&set_albumName=album173&id=Composite_Bendix_vs_Late_one_plug_MS51113_1_sm&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

You can use this photo to illustrate which lever and screw you are looking for in our wanted page.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: