Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Anthony 1963 M38A1
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anthony 1963 M38A1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aslanperro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject: Anthony 1963 M38A1 Reply with quote

Got this jeep just couple weeks ago. Noticed hardly any brake. Found out master cylinder was empty. Filled it and bled all 4 wheels. And brake is good but I know there must be small leak some where.

The obvious and first one I found was at driver front wheel. That flexible hose looks bad. Easily disconnected the end going towards T-fitting. But has hard time loosen other end going towards the short line to wheel cylinder.
Just acquired flare nut 3/8 wrench and will spray PB on it next couple days before trying again. But would any one recommend to put some heat on that 3/8 nut if PB and wrench alone doesn't help ?

I have also considered to pull open the brake drum to check the cylinder but I also ran into 3 stuck counter-sinked machine (slot-head) screws on the drum. I didn't work on them much because I don't have the right tool and don't want to strip them.

Since they're counter-sink, would PB be actually able to get inside? Also saw some recommendation of hand impact tool. If so, anyone know what kind / size of slot-head bit to get ?

Thanks.

Kendall

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had luck loosening the drum screws on mine with a hand-impact drive tool.
1942 Dodge WC-55
1951 M100 trailer
1942 Ben Hur trailer
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just acquired flare nut 3/8 wrench and will spray PB on it next couple days before trying again. But would any one recommend to put some heat on that 3/8 nut if PB and wrench alone doesn't help ?

It is not a good idea to use heat on plumbing that contains flammable material.
Try to use 6 point flare nut wrenches where rust is a problem.

Quote:
I have also considered to pull open the brake drum to check the cylinder but I also ran into 3 stuck counter-sinked machine (slot-head) screws on the drum. I didn't work on them much because I don't have the right tool and don't want to strip them.

It is a very common problem with those 1/4" countersunk screws. I suggest since the screws hold the drum to the hub and the hub/drum are designed to be removed as a unit that you simply remove the hub and drum as an assembly then while working working on your brake leak you can soak the threads from the inside of the drum to facilitate their removal.

The hand impact tool referred to is a handy tool but be sure to use quality hardened drive bits with it and not just standard driver bits used with electric screw guns.

Over my 60 years in aircraft and vehicle maintenance I have learned a lot about removing stubborn fasteners. When one dabbles in old rusty car restos it quickly becomes a required science. Before I resort to hand impact tools on tough fasteners I start with the very old tool called a bit brace or speed handle.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
aslanperro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, I will look into the speed handle too. For sure, I want to get the right size bit for those countersunk screws.

It hasn't registered to my mind from the TM manual. So how do I remove the hub/drum as a unit without loosen countersunk screws?

Thanks.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You remove items A thru H then slide the hub/drum assembly, items J thru Q with the 3 X's not removed, off the spindle tube item S. The back plate with shoes and wheel cylinder, R, S, W & P, remain bolted to the steering knuckle item U.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
aslanperro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wes. I was looking at TM 9-8014. ORD G758 figure 10-6 has a better view of how all come together like the one you shown.

I will see how co-operate the dualmatic locking hub nuts are (keep my finger crossed better than the drum countersunk screws). Also I am waiting to get my hub nut wrench

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try using my photo album (Jeep Hubs): http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album125&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

In the sub-album "Dualmatic": http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album379&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

aslanperro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, you do have many, if not all, relevant info/doc on the Willys even aftermarket parts.
Thank you.

Unfortunately that brake line nut cannot be loosen. It was little bit strip to begin with and it was "fused" to flexible real good. After spraying PB regularly past 3 days and using flare nut wrench, it's not moving at all. Good thing is the end on the wheel cylinder turn loose easily. So I will just cut this S-line and get a new one along with a new flexible hose.

My Dualmatic photo above is passenger side. When I tried to open Dualmatic cover on driver side, I found one of screw is missing. Investigate further one of previous owners must had stripped the thread and snapped one of screw and small piece of it left inside the hub. So the cover is just hold by 5 screws. Luckily, the cover can still be removed.

Now I can also see behind the hub nut someone did something (doesn't look good) to washer behind. I have to wait for hub nut wrench this week. Hopefully not another obstacle after another.
aslanperro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:35 pm    Post subject: brake updates Reply with quote

With better light, turns out the washer was just bent for the lock nut. I think it can still be re-used

Cylinder looks good. Brake shoes still have ~1/5" left. Though the person put the shorter shoe towards the front. So I will swap them according to TM.

The rest of backing plate looks fine, right guys?

Need to soak the 3 machine bolts from back side of drum for next few days. Will try to work them loose next weekend.

aslanperro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got this Stanley Proto slotted bit and loosen 2 of 3 countersunk screws without much difficulty.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005YT17RW/

But the last one was stubborn. Soaked the last one in bath of motor oil for 2 days

With hand impact driver and above bit, finally got it loosen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: