Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Tool Box Hinge Pin Drawing
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tool Box Hinge Pin Drawing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Tool Box Hinge Pin Drawing Reply with quote

We had a discussion a while back about the tool box hinge pin. We were looking for a drawing. Keith has found one and provided it to us. PN 663476 M38/M38A1.

Here's the full size: http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules/gallery/albums/album76/663476_Toolbox_Hinge_Pin_Print.jpg

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Mike_B

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to both of you for sharing this detail!

Mike B Smile
1951 M100 Trailer
RonD2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, many thanks to Keith and Wes! It never ceases to amaze me to see a blueprint dated 1944 posted in this forum for all to see! Wonderful stuff. What the crowd comes to see!

And in case it matters, here's a link connecting the dots to the referenced topic that uncovered it.....

http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=12916&start=30

Very Happy

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

WillysMotors
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the members of the team have been researching original Willys/Jeep documents for 35 years, but the results you see here are due solely to support from Ryan and Wes...
RonD2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Keith! I always forget to thank Ryan! <Thanks Ryan!>

Maybe somebody could make a post to describe all the research and work you're doing and have done over 35 years to preserve this corner of history? --- along with credit to the names of the people doing it? I bet I'm not alone in wanting to know more about this (a chapter in the next Reference Guide?). Maybe update the opening screen on the forum with that story? It needs bragging about.

And the thought has crossed my mind about what happens to all that work you all have done ---- in the future? So that folks like us can enjoy and continue to make use of it? Methinks it might belong in the Smithsonian or other museum where it can be researched and used by everybody? I've been on this forum for about 6 years now, and recall seeing maybe a dozen or so original blueprints.....out of many hundreds you probably have all together? I'm just hoping your work will be preserved and safeguarded indefinitely --- and there's no way it'll vaporize overnight.

I think most of us M38 and M38A1 owners out here like to think we're "preserving history", and maybe so --- but nowhere near as much as what y'all have done and are doing!

Many thanks again to you all !!!

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

Last edited by RonD2 on Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ivoryring

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dream would be that at some point copies of the blueprints are available so that fabricators can make for themselves the various 'this part is not available from anyone' parts. Going from a blueprint may be better in some cases than 'buy it from Omix who makes their parts by copying from one or two original samples in their collection'. Obviously some fabricators like me are garage newbies; but equally there are also obviously some that are experienced machinists that can correctly produce a part to the same standards given a blueprint. Maybe I'm wrong but looking at the blueprint, this pin seems like something that shouldn't be too hard for a competent craftsman to produce accurately.

1952 Willys Overland Model MD (M38A1) #MD25713
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (RIP)
2021 Jeep Rubicon
WillysMotors
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron, I appreciate your kind thoughts and enthusiasm regarding this project.
Ryan made a very significant personal donation that facilitated the ability to preserve and share this information. Ryan is the one that got the ball rolling. As far as I'm concerned, any and all information I personally procured is available to Ryan for use in his books, and this website. With that said, I believe the total of all outside support has been less than 1% of the acquisition cost.

This was never viewed as a revenue generation project. Ideally the information would be the basis for an independent 501C3 charity organization or "Jeep" museum partially funded by the owners of the Jeep brand, and partially by area businesses (and current suppliers to Jeep brand vehicles and accessories) and communities in the area. Such a museum is in the planning for the Toledo area but details have not yet been shared.

The back up plan is another museum located in a large city in the midwest. I was recently appointed to the board of directors of that museum, so they have the inside track at the moment. At an appropriate time, details will be released.

The concept of donation to the Smithsonian has been discussed, but our experience is that it needs to go somewhere where a curator will be familiar with the business practices of Willys/Kaiser/AMC. We're worried the data wouldn't see the light of day.

Regarding Tundra's post, some engineering prints are available, but some may have restrictions for commercial use. They have been provided to a few individuals and select dedicated "Jeep" suppliers that support the hobby free of charge. Conflicts have occurred when a supplier takes it upon themselves to gouge collectors by overcharging, or making claims they have exclusive access or rights.

Yes, the hinge pins could easily be manufactured using the original or revised methods, but what would customers be willing to pay? I paid $20 per pair for NOS.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: