Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?
Kaiser Willys carburetor
M38 Parachute Spools
Engine serial number
M38 Body Strainer
USAF Forward Air Controller M38A1 photo

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Troubleshooting Dana 25 Front Axle
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Troubleshooting Dana 25 Front Axle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Troubleshooting Dana 25 Front Axle Reply with quote

Here is what happened, yesterday I took my M-38A1 out with a group of Jeepers for some trail riding. The trails had some mud and plenty of small rocks easily handled, a couple of steep hills and then there were a couple of big rocks. I tried to tackle them, but no go MDCC tires had no traction, so I went around. In the process I got high centered on the rear differential and had to be pulled off. When this was going on it was noticed that the front driveshaft was spinning but the wheels were not moving.

I got the jeep home and opened the lockouts and find nothing broken there, drain and open the differential and find nothing obviously wrong there, no pieces of metal, shavings etc. I spin the driveshaft by hand and the pinion and ring / carrier rotate fine. I put the lockouts back on and turn one wheel forward the other spins reverse; tested both wheels this way. I hold one wheel imobile and spin the other the drive shaft rotates, same with other wheel.

I have tried everything I can think of and find nothing wrong. Could the lockouts jumped out of LOCK and caused the above symptom and driving it back to the gathering area put it back into normal mode? Looking for other things to look at just to be sure before I put it all back together.

BTW - Jeep performed fantastic till this little incident happened. Handled every obstacle with flying colors. Main reason I had to stop was driver (me) was getting a bit of heat Temp 88-90F and humidity in high 60's plus.

So let me know what you think...

Thanks...
1952 M-100 Strick #104
1951 Willys Wagon (For Sale)
1954 Willys M38A1 201001205
Tornado Alley
Del City, OK
jake138
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always when suggesting trouble shooting ideas, I like to start with the obvious, and this time it includes a bit of an embarrassing story from a personal mistake. My first truck in high school was a Nissan Hardbody that I used to take in the woods from time to time. There was one late night out following some friends through the woods where I found myself spinning my wheels, even though I knew I was in 4 low. Perplexed on how easily I started to get stuck, I hopped out to quickly realize that I had accidentally UNlocked my hubs right before we entered the trail. I had either driven there with the hubs locked, or at some point locked when without thinking about it, but regardless I had simply turned them the wrong way.

So short story long, I would check the obvious and see if maybe you had them unlocked from the beginning and maybe the trail was easy enough in the beginning that you had tackled it in 2 wheel drive.

I would be curious to know if maybe even one hub was not locked, because with an open diff you would then lose power to both front wheels.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: