Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Finally started working on my M38
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finally started working on my M38
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocwd

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Progress Reply with quote

Working on the brakes too. I was going to rebuild the cylinders but the backs were totally rusted solid so I'll just replace them. I'll re-grease everything before I put it back together.
TomM

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Balance Reply with quote

Were you able to balance your tires by using weights only on the inside of the rim?
ocwd

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Progress Reply with quote

I had my tires mounted at the tire shop. They balanced with weights like you said. Cost me $20 per tire to mount.
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking great!
ocwd

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:23 am    Post subject: Progress Reply with quote

Sunday was a long day. Brakes done, fuel lines "done", Jeep started and running. A few trips around the block on Sunday then a long drive Monday night. Wiper motors don't work, fuel gauge doesn't work, fuel lines leaked all over the garage, horn doesn't work. Brakes work nicely so that's a plus. Headlights are nice and bright. Looks like the blackout tail lights work but I need to check the blackout headlight.
ocwd

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:41 am    Post subject: Progress Reply with quote

I've put about 250 miles on my Jeep so far. It runs and starts great. Got the horn and stop light working. I guess my NOS fuel gauge and sender are both trash. I need to order a new fuel gauge but I have a repro sender.

I've been having brake problems. It stops fine but pulls hard to the right. The front right drum seams to be doing all of the work. Tried a few times to adjust all of the drums evenly, replaced a few of the old brake lines on the front axle but still having issues. I noticed a difference after replacing the lines and bleeding the system. I will look at the alignment and steering next. The steering is very sloppy. The front and rear axles were rebuilds from a crate so the shoes are pretty old. I didn't see any fluid on the shoes and the lines don't appear to be leaking. Lots of brake dust from the old shoes. I also noticed that I can't get a feeler gauge between the shoe and drum after driving and stopping for a while. Not sure what that's about.

Wiper motors still don't work. It doesn't seam like there is vacuum in the lines. I think I have a vacuum gauge with a rubber stopper. I'll try to check vacuum at the fuel pump.
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure to check the ground. I ran a special wire to the body of the jeep and cleaned the contact points on the ground wire to the housing of the sender and to the jeep.
Without a good ground the fuel gauge and sender will not work.
Mike_B

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brake are automatically adjusted every time you step on the pedal as there won't be any pressure built up in the system until all of the shoes are in full contact, so adjustment shouldn't be your issue.

Is it safe to assume the Jeep rolls straight and even when you step on the clutch and let the Jeep roll free..nothing is dragging or pulling?

Did you inspect both left and right drums/shoes?

Mike B Smile
1951 M100 Trailer
ocwd

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Progress Reply with quote

Thanks Ryan. I tried grounding to the frame and to the negative battery terminal with no luck. I'm assuming I have a good ground on my gauge panel since the other gauges work.

I took all 4 brake drums off and inspected the shoes and replaced all of the cylinders before I started the Jeep for the first time. Next time I drive the Jeep I will see if it wanders on it's own.

Since I've never worked on brakes before, the adjustment is the likely culprit. I did use a feeler gauge and adjust them properly.

The front only has one adjustment for each shoe. It's not like the back with two adjustments per shoe.
ocwd

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Progress Reply with quote

I tightened up the drag link and the bell crank and the steering slop is gone. The steering is pretty tight now. Everything is lubed too. I missed a couple of the grease fittings the first go around. One thing that concerns me is that the locking nut on the bell crank was pretty loose. I’m not sure if I didn’t tighten it when I installed the bell crank or if it loosened up. I’m wondering if it would be better to replace the locking nut with a more modern nylon locking nut? I’ll check the nut after driving it for a while.

The Jeep does wander a bit to the right while driving. It still pulls to the right while braking. What’s the best resource for doing the alignment?
ocwd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Progress Reply with quote

I got the gas can and spare tire mounted a few weeks ago.

RonD2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a post on alignment: http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=12816&highlight=toe

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

ocwd

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:10 am    Post subject: Progress Reply with quote

Thanks Ron.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I tried grounding to the frame and to the negative battery terminal with no luck. I'm assuming I have a good ground on my gauge panel since the other gauges work.

Keep in mind the internal wiring of the four system monitoring gauges in your instrument cluster is different. They each function a bit different then their neighbors. One common function for three of them is the need for a good gauge housing ground to enable the meter's needle drive. IE for water temp the gauge accuracy is controlled by the ground that runs from the gauge all the way to the sender however the needle will not drive to indicate that value unless the gauge case has a very good path to ground. In our efforts to clean up, restore and over repaint we have somewhat disabled these grounds. The gauge case must have bare metal contacting the gauge cluster frame's round opening which also must have bare metal. The quarter turn fastener must have a ring of bare metal contacting the hole in each corner of the cluster which must also have a contact edge of bare metal. Then the contact latching portion of the quarter turn fastener must have a bare metal surface that makes a good contact with the receptacle's bare metal surface. And that receptacle must have a bare metal surface contacting it's riveted bracket. Finally the rivets, bracket and dash must all share a bare metal surface. Any single contact surface with excess paint or corrosion can have a bad effect on your gauge operations.

I know this post is long winded but it is meant to show you how many ways you can loose the needed grounds for your gauges to operate correctly. The hardest point to control quality of grounding contact is the 4 quarter turn fasteners and their receptacles. The way Ryan overcame this area problem was to fasten a ground wire to a bare metal hole in the cluster and to a bare metal hole in the firewall. It is cheap insurance and only requires you to insure there is bare metal on gauge housing contacting bare metal in the cluster hole.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
ocwd

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject: Progress Reply with quote

That's good info. I will use Ron's method. I did leave the back of my gauge panel unpainted. Does the contact between the mounting bracket and back of the panel make a good ground or just the back of the gauge bezel to front of panel?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 20 of 21

Jump to: