Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M-38 Leaning
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M-38 Leaning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lehr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: M-38 Leaning Reply with quote

Hello all: Am looking for help,ideas as to why my jeep(M-3Cool is leaning to the drivers side.. I measured from the ground up to the body even with the hubs and got the following measurements; Drivers side rear34 1/4 " ,passenger side rear 36 1/4" The front measure ment from the ground up to the body at the hub; drivers side 33" and passenger side 34" . To my untrained eye,looking at the springs,shocks I see no differences. What should I look for to determine how to fix this problem??? Any and all ideas welcome! Thank you Lehr
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any motor vehicle with any weight bias to the driver's side and usually driven with only a driver in the vehicle will lean to the left. The universal jeeps all lean at least one inch to the left (driver's side) straight from the factory. The gas tank is on the left, the engine is biased to the left. Since you now have over 2" of lean then it is most likely the left springs are very aged and sagging. If you are terribly uncomfortable with the lean then the place to start is by removing all four springs and having them re-arched or replaced with new. Drive the jeep a month and recheck heights. This should get you back to less than 1" left lean. If you are still unhappy with the slight lean the simplest way to correct it is to add a 1/2" to 3/4" shim on the RIGHT passanger side rear spring between the spring and the axle pad. This will lower the outboard edge of the tub on the right side about 1".

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Lehr

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: m-38 leaning Reply with quote

Hello Wes: Thanks for the info. I think Ill leave it as is for now and perhaps down the road put new springs or re-arch the old Lehr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just about to replace the rear springs on my m38 when I spotted this posting. I already changed the front springs already and got rid of some of the lean. Just like ya'll I measured and still found 3\4 of an inch difference from the ground to the frame above the rear axle. I sure appreciate the tip of smimming the spring above the passenger side of the axle. ( sounds like that woud have been an easy fix to begin with!)
Well since I've already purchased the springs -were going to put them on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: