Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Best way to lift body tub off of frame
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best way to lift body tub off of frame

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tdavis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Best way to lift body tub off of frame Reply with quote

Assuming I have a hoist, what's the best way to attach the hoist to the body tub to lift it off of the frame? Run straps around it? Where should I position the straps? Or put two 2x6 baords under it (positioning?) and attach straps to the 2x6's and lift? Other methods?

Also, how should I position/store the body after I lift it off (am considering builing a dolly on casters) ... can I stand it on the tail to save space in my already over crowded garage?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
davem201m38

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, assuming you are going to be doing some body work anyway.... once the tailgate is off and the wings, bonnet, floor plates, seats, tank then two people can lift it off, you don't need a hoist. I simply tipped mine against the garage wall so it would take up less space.

I think I got my body off without removing the steering wheel.

Good luck,
Dave.
DJ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the manual it shows one being lifted off,and how the rope or strap is attached. I used a tow strap around the tub and a ratchet strap to the back. with the ratchet strap you can tighten or loosen it to keep the tub level. As for two men lifting it ,they must be younger than me,and have a better back.

DJ
hillbilly21

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: tub Reply with quote

Best way I have found to remove the tub is get my girlfriend on one side and me on the other then lift it off , set it on some work horses and go to fix-in it Wink
BEAR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well hillbilly, I sure wouldn't be a messin with you or your girl Exclamation Shocked Wink

Cheers Ray
Sadler5

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless your steering wheel comes off easier than my 2 I suggest you remove the drag link. Take the steering gearbox loose (3 bolts), remove the 2 or 3 floor panels and take it out through the driver's side.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It pays to temporarily install some steel angles across the tub at several places to keep it aligned while it's off the frame and during any body repairs.

The manuals show the correct way to sling it. I have found I can pick it up by hand with My wife and daughter on the other side.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
hillbilly21

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: lift Reply with quote

Thanks for the back up WES
davem201m38

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find a brother in law works just as well, after my wife, who has done this before...... tells me where to go.
davem201m38

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to add that a decent garden wheelbarrow under the flat rear body makes it pretty easy to move the tub about on your own.

I actually used my 8 years old son's 'Berg Toys' trailer which is normally hooked to the back of his Breg Trax pedal tractor

http://www.bergtoys.com/skelters.php?prodNum=112&page=3&categorie=1&lang=en-UK

Here's the link to one #@$%@ fine tub carrier!
TomM

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: body drop Reply with quote

Hello TDavis,

Just an update. I did a bunch of sheetmetal repars to my M38 including replacement of the full front floor.
Before I paint the tub I wanted to drop it back on the frame and check that all the mounting holes lined up.
4 eyebolts through the tub holes from the top using big washers and a nut from below. Two in the back bed and two through the front floor. Using 1/2 inch rope a sling was made up and attached to the overhead hoist.
The body lifted easily and dropped onto the frame within a few minutes. I did not have to have my girlfriend or anyones wife lift anything.
Once the tub was roughly on the frame it was easy to lift from underneith to get the nuts off the eyebolts. Then it was all repositioed.

I'll spend some time and post a picture later. Removal would be just the opposite for you.

Tom
tdavis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomM - very cool - exactly the advice I needed. Would love to see pics.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Roberto67

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:48 am    Post subject: Perhaps... Reply with quote

...this could help you:

http://www.g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=78908&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=105

Or here:

http://thejeeperwarehouse.blogspot.com/2005_11_01_archive.html

Cheers,
Rob1955

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: Tub Removal Reply with quote

Hi All I'm the proud new owner of a 1952 M38. I understand the tub only weighs a couple hundred pounds. Is there a quick reference here on R&R of my m38 tub so I don't leave any hidden bolts in? I might damage the rust when I lift. Thanks Rob

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: