Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - large cup washers??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

large cup washers??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moneypit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: large cup washers?? Reply with quote

hi all, where do you guys get the cup washer that goes under the spring on the tie rod ends? everybody i deal with says theyr'e not available....looks like it should be a plumbing thing or something! thanks,....frank
skyjeep50

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Tie rod end boots Reply with quote

There are various makers of polyurethane tie rod end boots that can help seal the tie rod ends. You could discard the metal cap and spring if they are broken or worn out. One source is Tellico but there may be others as well (no specific endorsement is intended). Look at:
http://www.tellico4x4.com/product_info.php/cPath/459_3057/products_id/9908?osCsid=7fa88f27ee4d5b909d79ce9994608c1f
TomM

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: cup washers Reply with quote

Hello,

I have gotten the big cupped metal washers and springs from both Mullens and Debella.
The last time I purchased them was about 2 years ago.

Tom
Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the metal cup washers the correct part for this?

I bought my tie rod ends from Archer and at the same time order rubber boots and springs because I did not know about the metal cup washers. Anyhow the rubber boots I received were crap. They split shortly after being installed with the springs.
TomM

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: tie rod ends Reply with quote

The factory original tie rod ends were installed with spring and cup washers acting as the seals. Replacement tie rods had/have the rubber boots and no spring.
Do not try to use the springs with rubber boots.

You can often use the spring and cup washers on new tie rods (that were supplied with rubber boots) but I have seen new rod ends that have slightly different construction than the originals. In some cases the metal washer doesn't fully cover the opening of the of the new rod so the sealing effect isn't the greatest for keepng sand and scuz out.

If you aren't going after the factory look for your restoration, the rubber seals seem to be capable of doing a better job of shedding water and grit.

But then again, through proper maintenance many of these tie rods with the cup washers have lasted half a century.

Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: