Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Cleaning steering wheel
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cleaning steering wheel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gamillerman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Cleaning steering wheel Reply with quote

My steering wheel is in very good condition; except its covered in paint overspray and general crud from sitting so long. Any suggestions on cleaning this off besides hot soapy water and scotchbrite? I am unsure on using any type of chemical/petroleum product as I dont want to damage the wheel
Sadler5

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A baking soda and water paste works good on overspray. I don't know if it will work on the steering wheel but it won't damage it. Good luck.
Bob
Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you could use a little paint thinner first to remove paint spray. If that doesn't do it try some laquor thinner. I don't think the laquor thinner will melt the plastic.

My steering wheel was in pretty sorry condition from the elements over its life time.

The plastic on the steering wheel was oxidized, dull and with light color.
Here is what I did to mine. First, not knowing how to restore such a thing, I used fine grade emory cloth, to get the roughness out. However the dull whittest finish was still there. I had some MEK on hand, and put a little on a cloth/rag and and applied swipe on the plastic. I did the same thing a few more times. To my surprise the plastic finished turned back to the original texture/finish like it is supposed to be. The MEK actually melts the top oxidized coating and leaves the deep shinny OD finish.
If you try this used some rubber gloves and a resperator if working in an not very well ventilated area. Other wise do it outside. But still you should use rubber gloves.

I recommend pouring a small amount of the MEK into a metal or glass container, one that you can dip the rag/cloth into to sop up some on the rag. Now take the rag and wipe the plastic lightly in one direction. Go over the same area a few times with the wet rag. You will see the Original OD color coming back. This wiping with the wet rag removes the small cracks as well. You will get better at it as you go and can tell how much wiping and pressure to apply. It is best to wipe in one direction, not back and forth.

Try it on the under side of the wheel first to get the hang of the procedure.
gamillerman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for your replys. I am going to give these ideas a shot this weekend and will let you know how it came out

Thanks
Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: