Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38s blue from the factory???? (lots of pics)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38s blue from the factory???? (lots of pics)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill_F

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject: M38s blue from the factory???? (lots of pics) Reply with quote

I have posted this before and have been told this is not possbable but I believe some m38's might have left the factory blue. I cant find any green paint on my tub and it is blue in places that repaints never get such as the hat channel where the body meets the frame and under the dash/cowl

Dash/Cowl pic

Passenger Side floor

Hat channel center of floor going to driver side floor (Removed yestarday so I can fix rust)

I believe I am forming a strong case that at least some m38's came from the factory in blue for the Airforce, now if there where some factory documents to back this up it would be great. Tub has no previous body work and just a coat of red paint on top of the blue in some places. Outside of tub has been sandblasted so I dont have any pics of that to go with. All m38's that I have ever seen are always still green under the dash/cowl

Results of yestardays work
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

That is a very intersting finding on your jeep.

I don't envy you as that is a quandry as I would not know what to paint it as if it were my jeep.

Maybe some documentation will turn up.
Bill_F

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is going back to strata blue and marked as an airforce jeep
GIJOE290

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill_F wrote:
It is going back to strata blue and marked as an airforce jeep
Woo-Hoo YEAH! Way-2-Go, Bill! Very Happy Cool Very Happy
Serial #56535
"The Green Goat"

Restoration Begins Summer 2005! ...Er Maybe 2006? 2010? 2015? 202...?
Bill_F

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I have been doing today. Ran out of gass of the mig so I am done for today. Only burned through in a couple of spots but was easy to fix. I am really enjoying this, kind of fun right now but still have lots to do.

m38mc

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bill,
Sorry that you ran out of gas, I thought there was enough to do what you needed. Just finished packing for the trip. Load the M38 in the am.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no written evidence that any M38's left the Willys Factory any color but 2430. Not even the USMC units. Don't take this the wrong way but the USAF was slow converting it's stuff to strata blue after the 1948 War Dept / Pentagon shuffle. The Army was still prime contractor on it's tactical vehicles. Thru 1954 in Korea the USAF jeeps were still OD.

In at least two of the photos I clearly see traces of 2430 with the blue.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Last edited by wesk on Sun May 01, 2005 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bill_F

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes point out where in the pick you see the green. I have sanded and ground and can not find it anywhere. Heck it was blue where the body mounts to the frame. You might be seeing it in the picture but it is not there in real life. They may have been slow with their current fleet and repainting but what if they ordered something new from the factory? On the tool box where it was not sandblasted it goes red, blue, red primer, bare metal.

Larry I hope you enjoy your trip. I am not able to get any further on the m38 this weekend and dont know when I will work on it again. Passenger side is going to take a lot of work.
Bill_F

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main thing to remeber is that we will never now for sure what colar this jeep left the factory. I just know how I am going to paint it and what I feel it orginally came. I might be wrong, then again I might not be.
GIjivecrew

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First I wonder if you could not track it down by it's serial numbers? Does it have a factory fitted plate under the hood showing paint numbers. Second its blue alright but is it strata blue?

Wes- What colour was that M606A1 in your photo of a US Air Force jeep, what year was it taken?

Cheers Chris
Bill_F

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The m38 does not have a paint code plate on it. Sure would have been nice if it did.
GIjivecrew

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you see the pics Wes posted on my enqiry about a USAF M606A1. Same colour. (same forum) Very Happy

M606A1 (Military CJ5 ) owner, 1966, ex-Swiss Army, made in Ohio. Website www.gijive.co.uk
Rtaylor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, I know this is an old thread, but I recently purchased a M38 for parts. The jeep is basically a body and rolling chassis. All the sheetmetal is there, but missing most of the military bolt on parts. After further investigation I have found strata blue under a thin top coat of a civilian paint. I bought it for the hood, grille and some other small parts and because the tub was unmolested and fairly rust free. I just last night had time to start looking around the body and found not only strata blue but some yellow lettering at the drivers door sill. I will try sanding on the hood next to discover if there is more lettering on the hood. But I also discovered, like you that there is not a single spot of OD paint on the tub. Everywhere I look there is blue, under the dash, wheel wells, in the glove box etc. If I scrape off the blue I find red primer then nothing but metal. There is no OD under the blue. Further investigation shows me that bolt on parts like the tool box lid, fenders, hood, grill, etc. have OD under the strata blue. This USAF M38 sounds alot like what you found. I was wondering like you if M38's at this time going to the USAF had the tubs painted blue by the factory and the rest was OD painted blue because they where bolting on parts from inventory that was already OD. My M38 is #59960 del. date 3/52. I can post pictures if anyone is interested? I have about decide to keep this M38 together and not part it out now that I have discovered that it is a USAF M38.

I am new to MV's and this forum. I anticipate this forum will be of great value. My thanks to Wes and Ryan.

Richard Taylor

51 M38 MC25149
52 M38 MC59960
Bill_F

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is a 2/52 and I dont believe the serial numbers are that far apart. I would love to see pics and what your hood number is. Mine is N-1346, unfortunatly my jeeps tub was mostly sandblasted when I recieved it so I cant find any markings on the side. I am very glad to hear that someone else has found another blue m38. Where do you live?
m38mc

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see a few pic's. I would also like to know who the responsable agency is and contract #'s on the Data Plates? My serial number is close to yours and found NO blue paint anywhere.
kb1ics
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: