Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - electrical
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

electrical
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgtkish

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:19 pm    Post subject: electrical Reply with quote

I'm not sure if I'm doing this right since I'm new to the sight, so bear with me. I'm making the wiring harness on my 1952 m38a1 ,and I'm at the point where I need to make a harness from the regulator to my harness. Since it seems impossible to just find that cable for sale on line, I have no choice but to take the old plug I have and try to make one. Does anyone have any Intel on a diagram of what goes where from that particular plug? What wires go into the plug, from where and what pins to attach those wires to. Without burning my jeep to the ground of course...lol. I just dont want to buy the whole kit for 900 just for one plug. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answers are in 3 different manuals.

TM 9-8014 Operator's Manual for wiring diagrams.
TM 9-1825B Autolite component manual (Nov 52 edition) For pinouts
TM 9-1825E Electrical Equipment Bendix-Scintilla (Aug 52 edition) For rebuilding those plugs.

Also TM 9-8627 Delco Electrical Component repair (Jun 53 edition) For Delco pinouts

All or the applicable sections of each are on our downloads page.

Also you will find many photos of the technical issues you are working in my photo album.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

here's a few examples:

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
oilleaker1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google Surplus Army Warehouse. Then M38/M38A1, M series cable, 12.95 new!!!!!!!!! It's longer, but the price is fantastic! John
aforests

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone post a picture of the cable that goes from the regulator to the firewall? Would be interested in seeing the different ends away from the regulator.

PHOTO ALBUM
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album400&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you can see the shortest wire (#4) leaves the bundle and attaches to the + terminal on the starter. You can also see that the ignition wire (#12) also exits from under the taped in harness. It is not connected to the regulator plug. It is just piggy backing a ride inside the harness tape.

Here you can see the harness and note that 3 other wires are taped inside the harness. This is the medium view from my M38A1 electrical album.

You should make it a practice to go to my album to find technical photos rather then ask the members to find one.

My Album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

It is the second album on the first page of member's albums.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
sgtkish

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesk wrote:
The answers are in 3 different manuals.

TM 9-8014 Operator's Manual for wiring diagrams.
TM 9-1825B Autolite component manual (Nov 52 edition) For pinouts
TM 9-1825E Electrical Equipment Bendix-Scintilla (Aug 52 edition) For rebuilding those plugs.

Also TM 9-8627 Delco Electrical Component repair (Jun 53 edition) For Delco pinouts

All or the applicable sections of each are on our downloads page.

Thank you ,exactly what I was looking for.

Also you will find many photos of the technical issues you are working in my photo album.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

here's a few examples:

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the M38 Harnesses. They are very similar to the A1 harness except for some lengths and the oil press wire does not tie into it.

sgtkish

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesk wrote:
Here's the M38 Harnesses. They are very similar to the A1 harness except for some lengths and the oil press wire does not tie into it.

_-------------------------_
Does anyone have an idea where I can find this cable ? Its seems to be one of those allusive parts .
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

Quote:
Google Surplus Army Warehouse. Then M38/M38A1, M series cable, 12.95 new!!!!!!!!! It's longer, but the price is fantastic! John

http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/military-vehicle-parts/m38-m38a1-mb/m-series-cable.html

That's the wrong cable assy. That is the two wire cable from the generator to the regulator. He is looking for the harness assembly that runs from the regulator to the firewall.

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kish,

Have you looked up the part number in your ORD 9 and googled it yet? It's on page 179 of your M38A1 ORD 9 SNL G-758.

sgtkish

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesk wrote:
Kish,

Have you looked up the part number in your ORD 9 and googled it yet? It's on page 179 of your M38A1 ORD 9 SNL G-758.

Yes sir, googled it for a couple weeks now. Almost had one on eBay but missed the auction by a few min. As for part numbers and a way to find it from an nsn #, well that's route I haven't mastered yet. I will have to try and figure out how to manage that way. Thanks
sgtkish

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgtkish wrote:
wesk wrote:
Kish,

Yes sir, googled it for a couple weeks now. Almost had one on eBay but missed the auction by a few min. As for part numbers and a way to find it from an nsn #, well that's route I haven't mastered yet. I will have to try and figure out how to manage that way. Thanks

I have a few m37's I'm working on as well and I tried pulling one of the cables from them, but they don't look the same. The m37 cable I got only has 2 wires coming out of the back of the plug, and they are cut off. Its in bad shape, but I was going to use the plug and make one for the m38a1.That's why I was asking for specifics on the data for where everything goes..lol. so worst case I will take the Intel you guys gave me and make one from the m37 if I can't find one.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the plug is the same 4 pin plug you'll not have any problems if you just follow the photos I posted above. I googled the part number and found 2 dealers selling the cable for about $150 at one and a POR at the other. The final illustrations I posted include M38 wire lengths and should be very close to your M38A1 lengths.

The early M37 had the same regulator & generator as the M38A1. The M37B may have had the transistorized voltage regulator which did not use wires # 8 & # 9.

I updated my early M37 (1954) with a 60 amp military alternator which has a built in regulator.

sgtkish

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesk wrote:
As long as the plug is the same 4 pin plug you'll not have any problems if you just follow the photos I posted above. I googled the part number and found 2 dealers selling the cable for about $150 at one and a POR at the other. The final illustrations I posted include M38 wire lengths and should be very close to your M38A1 lengths.

The early M37 had the same regulator & generator as the M38A1. The M37B may have had the transistorized voltage regulator which did not use wires # 8 & # 9.

I updated my early M37 (1954) with a 60 amp military alternator which has a built in regulator.

Now that I think about it I was going to use the regulator from that m37 I got tht plug from because my other regulator had burn marks on the inside of it. So I figured it was fried, and switching them out would be easier. So that's great, looks like that may not work either. I did hunt down the part number and googled the exact results you got. So thank you for that again. I was playing with the idea of getting a 60amp mil 24v alternator, but I thought you still needed the regulator. There was a cheap cable on eBay to connect the 60amp the the regulator. So of course iI bought it just in case . So its either the alternator or buy the 150 cable and rebuild the regulator and hope it works.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with the 60 Amp GI Alternator is it's current price. $300 and up.

If your M37 had the transistorized regulator that doesn't use wire's 8 & 9 you can still use it. You must switch the amp meter out for a voltmeter and just do not use the 8 & 9 wires.

Autolite 28V 25 A mechanical regulator

Delco-Remy 28V 25 A mechanical regulator

Transistorized 28V 25 A regulator

The plug ends are the same on all three. Up behind the dash wires 8 & 9 connected to the amp meter on the two mechanical regulators. When you used the transistorized regulator you just taped the ends of wires 8 & 9 over and replaced the amp meter with a volt meter and connected the plus side of the volt meter to the wire #27 spider harness.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: