Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Transfer case to high still?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transfer case to high still?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Transfer case to high still? Reply with quote

The plate on the bottom of the transmission that the rubber mount bolts to. Is it different from a M38A1 than the M38? Is the transmission crossmember different? I got the transfer case mount snugged down good but It still seems like the transfer case is sitting too high? Im gonna remove the tub 1 more time to paint the inside but Im trying to mock everything up first.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The crossmember, rear mount plate bracket and rear mount cushion are all the same M38 & M38A1. Exactly where on the tranny/transfer housing comes in tough with where on the tub? A picture would do a lot here.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Ryan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes,
I will be out of town this weekend. I will try to get some pics this sunday. It is contacting the transfer case on the front side of the pto access hole on the tub. What concerns me is that right now I have the crappy body mount kit installed with 1/2 spacers under the floor. If its touching now Im definatly going to have to get the thing down so I can put the correct spacers in.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd start at the very beginning and make sure the frame is square.There is an excellent guide in the service manuals. Did the jeep have a snow plow on it in the past?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Ryan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which tm is it in? I have the cd. As far as I know it never had a plow on it. Im from south arkansas originally and this jeep came from the city of Texarkana. I would imagine that the gaurd base in texarkana is where this jeep originated from. No snow!

I will measure the frame but From looking at the jeep the frame lookes straight and does not appear to have ever been bent.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem you describe can only be caused by several items:

1-Wrong crossmember

2-wrong tranny mount and /or cushion

3-bent tub (has the tub been re-floored?)

4-bent frame

The frame checking data is in TM 9-1804B Power Train, body & frame on pages 174, 175, 176 & 177.

You must check all the diagonal and longitudinal measurements. You must have the center section of the Frame between N & P level or exactly parallel to the floor. Then make sure the engine rear crossmember is level or parallel to the floor. Now when you take height measurements from P & M on both frame rails to the floor they should all be within 1/8" of each other.

Ryan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wes. I will take a look this Sunday when I get home. I will try to get some pics of the transmission mount and the crossmember and see if I can figure out what is up. I did refloor the tub but only the bottom of the floors. When I put the toolbox in it took very little for it to match my contours, so HOPEFULY the tub isnt bent. I will look for pictures of the dissasembly process b/c like I said before I think this transfer case was a little high before.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan,
It's like a half glass of water. Is it half full or half empty. The tub could've been low before instead of the transfer being high before. Wink

Bend up on either end of the frame and the tub comes down and the center frame comes up.

Ryan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesk wrote:

Bend up on either end of the frame and the tub comes down and the center frame comes up.

Im not sure exactly what you mean. Bend where on the frame. The front or rear?

Unless I dont know what to look for, my frame is straight. Oh well I will put a tape to it soon.

EDIT
Can someone post a pic with measurments of the inside of the tub with the pto access cover removed so I can see How its SUPPOSED to look?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When either the front or rear of the frame is hit in an accident by a taller vehicle or obstical there is a tendency for the end of the frame that gets hit to bend downwards and this in turn tends to bend the frame center area upwards thus pushing the transfer up against the tub. The upward flexing of the center frame area also has a tendency to pull the tub down towards the frame.

Ryan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont use an impact wrench on the crossmember transfer case mount Shocked My mount is seated, unfortunatly I have to remover the transfer case and replace the front bearing retainer. I split it. Im wondering if it may have already been cracked before cause I didnt impact it that hard. Oh well thats not my problem apparently. This evening I will get some pictures of the crossmember, mount and tub.

Edit:
I posted pics on my gallery. I didnt know how to put them on the message board. I plan on removing the tub one more time to clean up welds and paint. The transfer case is also coming off again to repair a leeak b/t the transmission and transfer and to paint the crossmember. As of now there are 1/2 inch spacers uder the tub and the back side of the pto hole is touching the transfer case.
Ryan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pics posted on gallery
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan,

It looks like that transmission crossmember has bumped into a few things in the past.

Are you sure it is still straight? Also check the frame at the attatchemnt points to the cross member to make sure nothing has been moved.

Just a thought and hope I am wrong. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: