Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M100 Project - Dorchester County SC
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M100 Project - Dorchester County SC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> M100 & other 1/4 T trailers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RonD2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it's official --- I need my head examined. Went and bought another M100. Couldn't pass it up. Fair price, unmolested, pretty much original. Not rode hard and put away wet anyway, original data plates. Came with a serviceable tarp, new wheel bearings, and two new NDT tires. Included a 1951 jerry can and mount, and a spare tire on a Mutt rim. It has the Marine Corps tie downs and some reinforcements under the floor. Wondering if the grease fittings on the hubcaps are a Marine thing? More to follow. Photo's in my "Marine Corps M100" sub-album at http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album522&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Meanwhile, on the Army M100 front, I disassembled it for preservation. Had it plastic media blasted, red epoxy primed, and top-coated with fresh 24087. Expecting it back from the painter this week. Discovered a replacement floor, some light bondo here and there, and some fairly pitted frame gussets. I'm thinking some doubler plates right now as replacements don't seem to be available and having them fabricated is a bridge too far for me. Some photos in my "Army M100" sub-album at http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album523&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice addition to the family!

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
RonD2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to cut my new landing leg release pin, thread the ends, bend the handle, and connect them with a coupling nut. So I could disassemble and service the piece once in a while without having to get the torch to straighten out the bend, service it, then bend it back again. Sticks out a tad longer than original, but works good.

My bet is back in the (1950) day, a mechanic would cut the rusty old one off, trash it, and grab a new fresh $3.50 replacement to put in (with a fresh bend).

Seeing as that $3.50 part now cost me $35 I can't see myself getting the torch out to unbend and re-bend it whenever it needs some love. I know, unauthorized modification, but I couldn't stop myself.

Maybe the trailer police won't notice? Shocked

--- Enzo Ferrari

Last edited by RonD2 on Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
45auto

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it!! I'm all for original but as you pointed out, we do not have an infinite supply of these parts and they are pricy. The only down side is if you enter it to be judged, then the trailer police will be taking notes!! If its for your use and up to you to maintain--two thumbs up!!!
MVPA #6833
1945 GPW
1950 CJV-35/U
1951 M38 1952 M38
1962 USMC Contract M38A1
1953 Strick M100 1967 Johnson M416
1968 CJ5 4-Speed 1969 CJ5 V6
RonD2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tanks Harold! I figured it's nothing the next guy can't un-do if he wants --- with his own $35 that is. Smile

Another perfect piece from MWM by the way (can't resist making the plug).

--- Enzo Ferrari

wilfreeman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ron,

I think I am going to convert my M100 a USMC version. Can you take some measurements for me on your tie downs? I need measurements like the thickness of the round bar used, width of the crossbars (where they are parallel), how far out the loop extends from the frame, how much the loop is bent upwards, measurement from the front of the front and rear cross members. I have an M762 with the tie downs, but don't know if they would be the same as the M100. Also, are these tie downs always a USMC trademark?

Before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, the M100 that I am rebuilding is a Frankenstein. I have an original chassis and an MD Juan tub with repro wiring and data plates, so I figured I would build it to match my '64 USMC M38a1.
'51 USMC M100 trailer, '54 M100 trailer, '90 M101a1 trailer
Http://wilfreeman.wordpress.com (M38a1 build blog)
http://m38a1usmc.wordpress.com (USMC M38a1 rebuild blog)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
RonD2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wil,
Can do. Give me the weekend and I'll shoot you the numbers.

It's my understanding that the tie-downs are a USMC trademark (as is undercoating), but this is the only one I've ever seen. This and other forums seem to agree they are trademarks.

If you need other photos not in my album, or anything else, we can swap phone numbers via PM and discuss. Let me know. If nothing else, I'm just down the road from you for a look-see. I'll buy you a cold beverage.

If the motor on my M38 wasn't out for a rebuild, a tow to you for the same would be equally ok with me. Very Happy

--- Enzo Ferrari

Last edited by RonD2 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great -Thanks! I didn't even think about undercoating on the trailers. I've been doing some searching for info on them tonight - still reading through the threads on the G. It looks like 1/2" rod on the M100 and 416, and 3/4" on the 416B1 and 762. Wes also stated that he had never seen a factory M100 with the lifting loops and were probably a field mod.

I checked out your album - very helpful. I don't think it will be a problem adding them. I would like to add them to my trailer because it is a USMC thing, but probably won't get around to it before the rally next month - but who knows! How far below Columbia are you? Maybe we can work out a visit the next time I'm down that way - always up for a cold one and M series chat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
RonD2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my impression from research on USMC M100's is that the Marines did the mods themselves (not by Dunbar Kapple at the factory), and not at using unit level, but at one of the 2 depots (Albany GA or Barstow CA) before delivery to the fleet. I could be mistaken about that --- perhaps individual Motor Transport outfits installed them.

My album also shows the hub caps with an extended zerk grease fitting installed. I've seen research that this might also be a Marine thing (although not conventionally advised to pump grease into the hub to displace water, but I've seen dumber ideas as a Marine myself). Might have just been a quick expedient after salt water fording until proper maintenance could be done. The zerks on my hubcaps look original to the rest of the old paint and parts on this trailer. I must say that if it was ever in salt water over it's life, it fared very well (no corrosion).

I'm 90 miles from Columbia down I-26, Summerville.

--- Enzo Ferrari

wilfreeman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info - thanks!

I saw those grease zerks - they would be easy enough to add also, and would promote more questions about the differences between Army and USMC trailers and M38a1.

Boy, you're closer to Charleston then. I don't know why, but I was thinking Dorchester was just on the south side of Columbia.
RonD2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matt,
Will this sketch give what you seek? It's in my album so I think you can blow it up for a larger view. Let me know if you need anything else. The bars are fully welded to the underside edge of the frame, but nowhere else. I didn't crawl under it to see where the bar loop is joined (welded) together. Or if it's one or two pieces welded together. Need that?

--- Enzo Ferrari

wilfreeman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, that is PERFECT - thank you very much! So it looks like a 3" pipe would make a good arbor for the bend. Now to just get motivated enough (and find enough time) to get back on it! Maybe tomorrow because it is supposed to be a nice day and I have a full day to work on it.

The other day when searching for USMC M100 info, I saw most of them welded. On my M762, they aren't welded (plus it has 3/4" round like the USMC M416B1)- could be a difference of 30yrs, different trailer, or whatever.

I see on your responsible agency data plate where it says USMC in Depot Maintenance. Mine was obviously Army, because it says Ord Corps there too. I am actually thinking these plates might be originals because they look pretty old and were covered with paint which I was able to remove. The date was 4-54, inspected by WAS. The serial # is the only problem area I see on that plate - just has 500 in a different size than the other stamps. I guess if I am going to convert it to a USMC variant, I will need to procure a new Responsible Agency plate to make it look right.
RonD2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Matt,
You're welcome! Glad to help.

I just crawled under it to see if I could see where the rod is welded together in a loop. Too many layers of paint and they must've cleaned it up good because I can't find where the loop was welded together.

I'll keep my eyeballs open for an original Responsible Agency plate with USMC on it for you. Would look better than a repop plate alongside originals. You might post an ad in the Wanted section?

Let me know if you need anything else. Very Happy

--- Enzo Ferrari

RonD2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Matt,
I was thinking about your comment that the M416 trailer used 3/4-inch rod instead of the 1/2-inch rod on the M100.

You can kind of see in my photo album that the loops are somewhat deformed, most likely from being used over the years. Seeing as the M100 and M416 both have about the same payload and prime mover, my bet is they upgraded to 3/4-inch rod on the M416's for heavier duty and less deformation, more safety margin.

I believe these loops are primarily for sling lifting a pay-loaded trailer aboard ship and less as a tie-down, although it does both.

Just speculating on both points. Well before my time. Can't find any published USMC evidence about the modification at all.

--- Enzo Ferrari

wilfreeman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonD2 wrote:
Hey Matt,
You're welcome! Glad to help.

I just crawled under it to see if I could see where the rod is welded together in a loop. Too many layers of paint and they must've cleaned it up good because I can't find where the loop was welded together.

I'll keep my eyeballs open for an original Responsible Agency plate with USMC on it for you. Would look better than a repop plate alongside originals. You might post an ad in the Wanted section?

Let me know if you need anything else. Very Happy

Thanks for the effort Ron! I'll just weld it together anyway. I appreciate you keeping your eyes open for a USMC plate - and I'll post a want add on the forums too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> M100 & other 1/4 T trailers All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: