Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - F134 Coolant in oil
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

F134 Coolant in oil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cabinfever

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:03 am    Post subject: F134 Coolant in oil Reply with quote

Lubed the M38A1 yesterday and then took her off the blocks. Put in the batteries and checked the coolant level. Coolant was down 2 quarts! Hummm? I don't remember the last time I checked it in the fall, but it was never this low.

At any rate, the Willys started right up, so I drove it for a couple miles to let it warm up so I could change the oil and filter. When I poured the used oil out of the drain pan and into the 5 gal oil recycle bucket I saw the green Prestone.

So, before I get started with a repair, I'd like to know what is the most likely cause for coolant leaking into the F134 engine? Head gasket? Cracked block? Something else?

The engine runs fine and the exhaust has no white smoke (steam) or water dripping from the tail pipe. The temp gauge does not indicate any overheating.

Thanks
Steve Stark - 1955 M38A1 MD #85388

Member - MVPA #35153
Member - Red Bull Historic Military Vehicle Association
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fill it with water and start it up with the radiator cap off. After the thermostat opens accelerate the engine and if you have a rush of bubbles in the coolant the leak is a cylinder or head gasket leak. If no bubbles the leak is elsewhere in the block. The most common place is the distributor boss.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
cabinfever

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Wes. So, I warmed up the jeep without the radiator cap on. Had my wife gun the engine over and over again for about 5 minutes. I;d say that I saw maybe half a dozen small bubbles during this 5 minute session. I assume this rules out a blown head gasket. Right?

You mentioned the distributor boss. I searched the forum and found some discussion on a copper tube/epoxy fix. Before I pursue this remedy, I want to make sure the leak is there. How would I confirm that the leak/crack is in the distributor well? I believe most, if not all, of the discussions were in reference to the L134, not the F134 engine. Do the castings for both engines exhibit the same weak areas around the distributor well?

Member - MVPA #35153
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and the easiest way to find most coolant leaks is with a coolant system pressure tester.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
skyjeep50

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running an engine with a large amount of coolant in the oil can damage bearings and other moving parts. Remember oil is lighter than water and the sump pickup is on the bottom of your oil pan - on startup your engine would have been lubricated with coolant - not a good thing. Best to change oil if you detect any water or coolant before running the engine.
cabinfever

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, how does pressure testing the cooling system help find where an internal coolant leak is? I understand the test can tell you that you have a leak, but don't understand how it tells you where the leak is.

Thanks

Member - MVPA #35153
bbloom

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You pressurize the system then look for the leaking coolant. If you suspect the distributor boss you will need to remove the distributor then look down inside the hole where the distributor was. With the system pressurized you will see water coming out in that hole.
MVPA #1196

Photo Album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album327&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
keats

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe there is a dye you can add to highlight any leakage or cracks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: