Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38 Dana 18 transfer case
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38 Dana 18 transfer case

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brumbach

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: M38 Dana 18 transfer case Reply with quote

Aside from minor repairs to the park brake, I'm attempting to repaint the transfer case. I've cleaned it up and now steel wheeling the remaining surface rust. Is it possible to remove the park brake and shifting assembly without tearing into the transfer case? It appears I'll have to remove the 1 1/4 nut and use a puller to take off the park brake. Any thing else there? As for the shift tower, I've removed the attaching bolts but it will only pull out a short distance. What's holding it? Help!

Thanks,

Bill
southpw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can remove the rear nut and remove the parking brake assembly without any issues. Mine came apart without needing much more than a rubber mallet to remove.
With the bolts removed from shifter cover, mine pulled right off. The shifters have 2 forks that engage inside the case. Maybe its getting hung up around one of the forks. Have you tried removing cover with shifter in different positions?
Brumbach

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

southpw wrote:
You can remove the rear nut and remove the parking brake assembly without any issues. Mine came apart without needing much more than a rubber mallet to remove.
With the bolts removed from shifter cover, mine pulled right off. The shifters have 2 forks that engage inside the case. Maybe its getting hung up around one of the forks. Have you tried removing cover with shifter in different positions?

I haven't but will. Thanks
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look on our web links page for the Dana 18 rebuild site and you'll get some very useful info there. It's Rick Stiver's Dana 18 blow by blow rebuild.

Under the Technical/How To list:
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Web_Links&l_op=viewlink&cid=9

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Brumbach

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the Dana 18 for the M38 equipped with the 3/4", 1 1/8" or 1 1/4" intermediate shaft? I'll bet 1 1/8". Thanks
Brumbach

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesk wrote:
Look on our web links page for the Dana 18 rebuild site and you'll get some very useful info there. It's Rick Stiver's Dana 18 blow by blow rebuild.

Under the Technical/How To list:
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Web_Links&l_op=viewlink&cid=9

Got it done. Thanks
southpw

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can measure it on the outside of the case. Im not sure when they made the changes to the shafts. Not sure either one of my D18's are original. One is 1.125, the other 1.25 so i chose the 1.25" one to rebuild.

Brumbach

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

southpw wrote:
You can measure it on the outside of the case. Im not sure when they made the changes to the shafts. Not sure either one of my D18's are original. One is 1.125, the other 1.25 so i chose the 1.25" one to rebuild.

My mic is reading 1.14 but I'm old and unsteady so I'm guessing it's 1.125. But then again, isn't that the fat end which would be larger than 1.125? That's why I asked. Don't want to order the wrong gasket kit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: