Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - GCI Red Oxide III Primer
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GCI Red Oxide III Primer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brumbach

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject: GCI Red Oxide III Primer Reply with quote

I'm getting ready to apply a second coat of primer to my frame. The frame was blasted before the first coat. It's been 32 hours since my first coat. To achieve a mechanical bond, do I need to block sand it before applying the second coat? Thanks in advance. Bill
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preparations for each paint layer vary between paint manufacturers and between types of paint. neither of which you have shared with us yet. Best course of action is to read the can labels or google the paint manufacturer's web site and read the correct procedure there.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Brumbach

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesk wrote:
Preparations for each paint layer vary between paint manufacturers and between types of paint. neither of which you have shared with us yet. Best course of action is to read the can labels or google the paint manufacturer's web site and read the correct procedure there.
The mfg and product type is in the title of the post. I'm really more interested in getting input from someone who has used this particular product. Practical experience is more important than the spec sheet which does not give the info that I'm requesting. Thanks for the tutorial though.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a good place to get opinions on how someone fared in their use of the paint but you still can't beat starting with the manufacturer's directions for application. Variations in spray equipment, pressures and flow rates, temperatures and humidity will skewer any advice here with the results you can obtain with your own equipment, settings and relative temps/humidity.

For example your 32 hours between first and second coat exceed Gillespie's recommended 16 to 20 hours for 90/94 series red alkyd primer. Gillespie has no requirement to roughen first coat prior to second coat. But your title doesn't tell us which series Gillespie red oxide you are using.

If it is the 90/94 series then the data sheet with the application info is at:
http://www.gillespiecoatings.com/ContentHandler.ashx?ID=13

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Brumbach

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesk wrote:
Here is a good place to get opinions on how someone fared in their use of the paint but you still can't beat starting with the manufacturer's directions for application. Variations in spray equipment, pressures and flow rates, temperatures and humidity will skewer any advice here with the results you can obtain with your own equipment, settings and relative temps/humidity.

For example your 32 hours between first and second coat exceed Gillespie's recommended 16 to 20 hours for 90/94 series red alkyd primer. Gillespie has no requirement to roughen first coat prior to second coat. But your title doesn't tell us which series Gillespie red oxide you are using.

If it is the 90/94 series then the data sheet with the application info is at:
http://www.gillespiecoatings.com/ContentHandler.ashx?ID=13

It's the 100 series and gives only the minimum waiting time for recoat but does not give the maximum time. I received the product sheet with the product. I don't think their web lists it. I suspect I'm outside of the window so that's why I ask the question. I'm prepared to block sand but will wait until they're open tomorrow to ask.

Last edited by Brumbach on Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the coat has cured a lot light sanding is usually the routine.

Brumbach

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesk wrote:
If the coat has cured a lot light sanding is usually the routine.
I took the frame to the blaster and immediately primed it with the first coat but didn't finish until late Friday night. I had to be out of town yesterday and therefore had no opportunity to apply the second coat. I was confident I'd have to sand it before applying the second coat due to the extended delay. Guess I was hoping someone on the forum would give me news otherwise. You'd think being retired I would own my own time wouldn't you? Maybe in the next life.....
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm retired Air Force and have been self employed since 1996. Still don't control half of my time! Wink

Brumbach

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Called the manufacturer this morning and was told there is no maximum time for recoating the 100 series primer. I then asked is any surface prep such as sanding or buffing necessary to ensure bonding between coats. They said "no surface prep necessary other than making sure surface is clean and grease free.

What do you think?
Brumbach

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mfg says no sanding necessary between primer and topcoat (11 SERIES - ALKYD ENAMEL TOPCOAT) provided done within 6 months. What has been your experience?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: