Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - oil lines on M38A1???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

oil lines on M38A1???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IRA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: oil lines on M38A1??? Reply with quote

I HAVE TWO M38A1 PLAN IS TO USE PARTS AND PIECES OF TWO TO BUILD ONE GOOD ONE.

I have two complete engines, now here is the rub. need a diagram of the oil lines, never in my life have i seen so many external oil lines and so many places for a oil leak to dev elop. but they are what they are.
I need a diagram for all the oil lines and connections. have the manuals but have not found a "oil distribution diagram" or "oil line diagram" any where. and the two engines i have are different in oil lines?????
4x4M38

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ira,
Learn to use the search engine above. There is a lot
of information here as well as on other sites on the
Internet. Some of the best info is photos of other jeeps.
Take some time and go through the photo pages. Also
download the manuals available here free.

And here is a start:
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album138&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Take care,
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are only 4 external oil lines on the a1. Two for the oil filter, one for the top valve train oil and one for the pressure transmitter. They are all illustrated in the M38A1 parts manual ORD 9 SNL G-758 available free on our downloads page.

There are many illustrations in the other manuals as well TM 9-804A, TM 9-8014, TM 9-8015-1 and TM 9-8015-2 all of which are available here on the downloads page as well.

I have a few illustrations in my photo album available for all member to view and it contains several hundred technical photos that answer many questions for our members.

http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

This illustration is from your ORD 9

In this copy of the IPL page you see the two tubes at the rear of the engine ID'd in with blue lines and the two hoses for the oil filter are highlighted in red. Two are for the Cuno filter and two are for the military junior filter so will depend on which filter you have on your m38A1.

Most original factory tubing on the engine was steel. The Army serviced in the field with copper tubing usually and the spec # for that tubing is usually shown in the IPL.
For an example if you ordered the tube PN 8348208 insisting no substitutions be sent to you you would get a brand new copper plated steel tube. On the other hand when you look below that part number number tube you see two components of the tube assembly listed separately which I underlined in green. The tubing ORD part # is for soft annealed plain copper tubing. When a spec number is listed like this you can usually find it in the manual alphabetically in the same sub-group 106.6. See below:

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
IRA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, Okay now, I have two engines, one similarity on both is the oil pressure sending unit is locared on same side as carb, it attacehed to two studs on the block few inches down from the head. It appears as if the oil pressure sending unit is actually getting oil from a tube connected to the place your description says the sending unit is? It is my understanding that oil pressure sending unit needs to be anywhere it can tap off oil under pressure??
in the photo although you can not see the sending unit it is covered by the towel but you can see the tube that goes around to other side and it is above the bell housing.

IRA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to correct something... the tube that went to the oil pressure sending unit is NOT in the photo. but it would be right next to the one that is connected to distributor
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct. You need to correct the missing sender tube that is shown in my post above. All the part numbers and materials needed are in those illustrations above.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
IRA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a lot,,, was able to download ORD 9 SNL G758. ALL 465 PAGES!!!
USING THAT MANUAL WAS ABLE GET NSN OF ALL THE GAUGES AND ALL ORDERED, FROM SURPLUS SITES I FOUND. ENTIRE INSTRUMENT GAUGE SET UP ALL OF THE BRAND NEW ALL OUT OF STORAGE FOR LESS THAN $200.00
THAT INCLUDED A SURPLUS SPEEDOMETER!!!

SLOWLY BUT SURELY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: