Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Tappet has play?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tappet has play?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
southpw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Tappet has play? Reply with quote

So i didnt plan on touching the exhaust or intake valves but looks like i may need to. Im unsure why i have up and down play in one of my valves. Heres a quick video. Hope it loads here
Brad

http://s1195.photobucket.com/user/southpw1/media/Jeep%20M38/20160701_113611.mp4.html
southpw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm. Hard to see in the video now that i watched it again. I will go try and get a better shot and post later
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your most coming causes are:

Flat lobe on cam.
Broken springs.
Weak springs.
If exhaust may be a missing rotator cap.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
southpw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wes. I dont think the cam is a problem as the entire thing doesnt move up and down, just the one piece. Here is a better video of what is happening.
Does anyone sell a full kit that sells all the tappet valve rebuild parts or is it just individual parts i beed to order?

http://s1195.photobucket.com/user/southpw1/media/Jeep%20M38/20160701_173001.mp4.html
southpw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So as i turn the cam i find others have the same vertical play. Can someone point out which valves are intake and which are exhaust please. If all are doing this in the exhaust valves, then maybe thay are missing a part like you mentioned Wes.
4x4M38

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad,
Hold one of your manifolds up to the head. That will tell you which ports
go to that manifold. Mark with a Sharpie or other marker. Do the other
manifold.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
southpw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DUH! Thanks Brian. Didnt even think of that.
southpw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've recorded that valve 1, 4, 5, 8 (counting from front of engine) are exhaust valves. And these are all the ones that have play. I am goong to assume that something is missing in there. Maybe the lock retainer. I will need to disassemble i guess.
southpw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removed all intake and exhaust valves, springs, etc. I dont see how there can't be free play in the exhaust valves when no pressure on the spring as the retaining lock clips dont fit snug in the seat. They fill 1/2 the gap and allow for free movement unlike the intake lock retainers that fit the seat well due to them being bigger. The TM does not speak of how wide these should be. Maybe these Sealed Power exhaust valves need a different lock retainer than original?
I do need to replace all my springs as they are 0.020" under the recommended min of 2.500" but the free play in my second video is way more than that.
Any suggestions?
Brad

southpw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit more research into these Sealed Power valves I was able to find the catalog and confirms that the V340 valve is correct for my L-134. The lock(keeper) part number calls for VK50 which is a wide keeper like the intake valves. It calls for same keeper for the intake as well. So i presume whoever rebuilt this engine did not do a good job and just used the old parts from the old valves.
Sound right?
southpw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The catalog has no part numbers for the cap on the end of the valve or the retainer. I took the intake lock and tried to fit with exhaust retainer and it does not fit correctly. Maybe i need 4 more intake retainers to use on exhaust valves and omit the cap on the exhaust valve? The only issue with this is that the length of the exhaust valve will be less the thickness of the cap material thickness. I could keep the cap on the end of exhaust valve as well as it does have room to fit on. I will have to compare OAL of original valves with the ones from Sealed Power.
Anyone been in this predicament?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyone been in this predicament?

Probably only folks with mix & not matched parts. The L134 came two ways on the exhaust valve. With rotators and without. Each setup used all it's own parts. So mix and match will not work. The valve that goes with the rotator cap set-up is shorter than the valve that does not. If your current valve is the correct replacement for exhaust valve PN 800829 then you will need to locate the rotator caps if you want to address all the excess play issue.

Quote:
The catalog has no part numbers for the cap on the end of the valve or the retainer.

You must not be using the M38 ORD 9 SNL G-740. It lists the rotator cap as PN 800827 (ORD# 7375032) and the retainer as 800828 (ORD# 7375304).

V is the short valve, U is the retainor and S is the rotator cap.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
southpw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those specified parts, as well as "U" were what came out of the engine. I suspected this by looking at the JEEP manual. But the Sealed Power catalog says to use different parts than original valves. I have contacted Sealed power asking them if original retainer was different as well. Looks like aftermarket valves now use the same parts as the intake valve as that is the same design as the lock in their catalog. Waiting on response still but i see the MV suppliers thelling WO-375994 as a retainer for intake and exhaust on the L134.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but i see the MV suppliers thelling WO-375994 as a retainer for intake and exhaust on the L134

Yes, but only when you have the later long exhaust valve without a rotator cap. Same applies to early and late F134.

southpw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesk wrote:
Quote:
but i see the MV suppliers thelling WO-375994 as a retainer for intake and exhaust on the L134

Yes, but only when you have the later long exhaust valve without a rotator cap. Same applies to early and late F134.

Ahhh. I see. So now the question is, what is the length of the original exhaust valve? It does not give dimensions in the manual. Maybe someone has their engine apart right now?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: