Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M-38 Running rough, dies after warms up - Bad Coil??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M-38 Running rough, dies after warms up - Bad Coil??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SCJeep

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: M-38 Running rough, dies after warms up - Bad Coil?? Reply with quote

My M-38 starts, idles and runs great until it warms up. Suddenly going down the road under power it will start to sputter, loss of power and eventually die. I thought it was the carb had junk in it , so I rebuilt the carb. Everything seemed good, my idle improved, smoothness off of pickup and then bam it did the same thing again. This has led me to believe the ignition coil is heating up and starting to break down. Once it starts missing you can shut it down and let it cool and come back and it will start and run fine. I haven't yet pulled the coil and tested it but the behavior makes it my #1 suspect.

My question is around those that may have recently replaced coils. The only thing I can find on the market are the repro coils. The last time I replaced my coil was probably 15+ years ago and I think I was able to source a NOS coil. Has anyone had luck with the newer repro coils and/or recommendations?
Saberr

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a new cool from eriks, and it has ran just fine. Personaly I think new ones are just fine, as long as you go through a reputable mv dealer.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you band aid another guess on what the problem is, finish the troubleshooting process. It's much cheaper that way.

Carry an extra spark plug with you and drive it till it quits. Quickly open the hood and unscrew a plug lead and screw your spare plug into it. Don't worry the shielded cable is all the ground needed. now quickly crank the engine. No spark fix ignition problem. Good spark fix fuel delivery problem.

Better yet, just remove the gas cap and drive the jeep. If it still quits do test 1. If it didn't quit unplug gas tank vent system. Caution there are two types of gas caps. Vented and un-vented. If your cap is the un-vented type then the vent that runs to the air cleaner is plugged. If you have a vented cap then make sure it's built in switch is in the vented position and not the fording position/closed position.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: