Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Cylinder bore
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cylinder bore

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xamon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Cylinder bore Reply with quote

Okay just want to check my stats and get some opinions.
Pulled apart the new engine block a bit and rough measured the cylinders with my calipers.
If I understand correctly the stock bore was 3.125 (I could not find the tolerance but I may be blind) The following are my numbers #1-4 front to back and side to side.
3.14 - 3.133
3.138 - 3.131
3.139 - 3.138
3.138 - 3.135
now for the opinions should I get it done to .015 over or 0.20 over? or can you only go 2 over? Also will I have to replace pistons or just rings?
As always tanks everyone Smile
oilleaker1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the pistons marked .010 that were in it? If so, and the pistons look good, I'd just lightly hone the cylinders and re-ring it. Or buy new 10 over pistons and hone it. The taper as I take your measurements is fine. Any discernable ridge at the top of the bores? bad pits or rust? John
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TM 9-1804A Pages 121 & 124 cover the piston, rings and bore limits. You'll need to take a few more measurements starting with lower bore diameters.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Xamon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only marking on the pistons is front-> I have to clean things up a bit more and get a proper bore measuring tool. It was seized when I started but I have driven the pistons out without damaging anything.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you can see here you need to get lower bore dimensions before making any decision on bore size. You are definately at least a .010 OS with the top measurements you have thus far provided. Rings and pistons are needed for OS.

I've seen OS pistons and rings as large as .080 OS. Have you measure piston wear yet?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Xamon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not measured the pistons yet, there is a lot of build up over the rings that I need to take off to see the rings even. I will get them from at least one today though.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you taken the taper dimensions yet? If so post them. I always glass bead the pistons to clean them before dimension checks it does a better job on the ring lands and doesn't damage the piston. Do you have a copy of TM 9-1804A? If not download it free here on our downloads page.

Try to get your hands on a copy of the civvy jeep manual which gives much more detail on the L134 overhaul.

Xamon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the pdf of the TM. I do not have the correct caliper to measure down in the bore at the moment. I have measured the #2 piston and I believe the engine was .010 over already.
Top of piston 3.122 X 3.120
Top of skirt 3.128 X 3.135
Bottom of skirt 3.130 X 3.135
so it needs replacing even if I was not going to rebore as they are more than 0.005 out of round.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That 0.005 out of round limits applies to the bore in the block not the piston.

If you look at page 123 in TM 9-1804A the piston diameter limits are taken only at 90 Deg's to the piston pin bore because the pistons were machined out of round new. Often referred to as cam ground. Your dimensions look like stock STD piston dimensions if you use page 123 wear limits.

Note the 0.005 piston to bore limit is the primary guide to when reboring and oversize pistons are needed.

You should be able to rent a dial bore indicator to check taper. I usually just haul my block and crank and pistons and cam to the engine machine shop and have them do the measurements with accurate tools.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: