Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Temperature Gauge problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Temperature Gauge problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ladiacos

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Temperature Gauge problem Reply with quote

I've just put power to my M38 project and as expected there were a few issues to sort out but the one problem I cannot figure out is why my Temp gauge goes to 260 right away. The engine has not run and there is no coolant. You cannot cross the wires. The gauge is not new but the sensor is and either could be bad but I would like to make sure I am not doing something wrong. Anyone out there know about this problem. Is it the gauge, the sensor or reversed something.

Richard
4x4M38

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard,
It sounds like the wiring to the sender is questionable or you have a bad ground. Or the sender could be bad.

We have all of the gauge troubleshooting right here on the website.
Look under downloads.

Take care,
Brian
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard,

The first thing you want to do is write down the Part # of your gauge and sender. Then open your Parts Manual ORD 9 SNL G-740 and confirm you have the correct match. Early sender with early gauge or late sender with late gauge. If you don't already have a ground/bonding strap attached to your instrument cluster and the firewall put one on there now.

Then go to the downlaods section under M38/M38A1/M170 and electrical and download this Tech bulletin:
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=46

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
ladiacos

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks gents. I went looking through all my parts and luckily found the old sensor and it does indeed have a different part number. I tried it and the needle advanced only slightly. So here is to hoping that was the problem and it is still good. I think the new sensor may still be good but it won't work with my gauge. I will also ground my gauge cluster as advised. I could have been swapping out sensors and chasing ghosts until doomsday had I not come to this site. I have downloaded all the recommended info.

Again
Thanks
Richard
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another tid bit of info Richard. Leave the paint off the contact surfaces between the instrument cluster and the gauges and the instrument cluster and the gauge retainer clamps and finally between the instrument cluster and the three lamp bodies.

Same goes for other obvious grounding points and the chassis / body/ engine.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: