Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - F134 quiestions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

F134 quiestions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saberr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: F134 quiestions Reply with quote

Tearing engine down for a shake a bake, plus mag. Gotten most of it apart. The left oil passage block, on the Oil pump side of the block (Not the one the throttle spring hooks to) is stuck. I have tried pb, and heat. The wrenches have started to round the head a bit. I stopped once i saw the rounding starting. I am completely stumped, how do you remove one of these seized up plugs ?

Another issue is when i took my head off and looked inside the water jacket, i saw and felt a piece of metal in there. It is right in the middle of the head's jacket. It runs about two piston length, and is rounded on the ends. It looks like a metal strap that was in there and corroded off. Any ideas as to what it is ? should i be worried, or ehh, Doesn't seem to impede flow, but it is loos in there, but too big to block any passages. Tried removing it, but too hard and long to bend to get out.

Last but not least a broken drill bit question. Took my water pump off, and saw one of the bolts had been broken off in the block (been there a while i see). So tried to drill and easy out it, broke easy out in stud, then i drilled the easy out and a bit of the stud. WellL the drill bit broke off in the stud, any ideas how to get hardened drill bit out ? I had heard a rotozip carbon blade would grind/drill it out, the ones used for tile. Any ideas there ?
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I broke a tap off in one of the Axle holes for the differential cover, I asked a machinist what to do to get the tap out. His answer was a carbide Dremel tool bit, at a low speed cut the tap out slowly. He said was only way unless I wanted to bring the axle to him... it is mounted and would be a big pain in the butt to go this route.

So maybe try this...
1952 M-100 Strick #104
1951 Willys Wagon (For Sale)
1954 Willys M38A1 201001205
Tornado Alley
Del City, OK
charlesfitton

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wire in the water jacket is probably part of the core reinforcement. It stays in the engine when the casting process is finished and the core sand is broken out.

Haven't seen one in a F134 though. Take it out and send us a picture.

and other green crap...
Derstrom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Broken bolt / stud removal Reply with quote

I've been through all the methods of removing a broken bolt or stud, especially from a block. Easy/outs, taps, pliers, etc. Etc. Etc. There is one way that works every time. So once you've tried everything else.....
Find a nut thats slightly bigger than the bolt or plug that's stuck. Hold it over top of the bolt so you can see the bolt thru the nut. Weld the inside of the nut to the bolt. If it's broken so it's hard to reach just build up the weld a bit more. Low heat, and don't go crazy with the welding.

This process does a few things. It heats up the rust that is holding the bolt. It heat/cycles the bolt and It'll likely break the bolt loose. And lastly it gives you a nice big brand new nut for your socket wrench. Works everytime.
keats

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.quikcenter.com

The fastest, easiest, and most successful extractor tool I have ever used!
Saberr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THx for the input, but i have to remove a hardened steel drill bit that is broken off inside the bolt, it's not near the top.
keats

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the quick center tools work on bolts below the surface. I had a hub bolt broken off about an inch below the surface nd the tool worked flawlessly
4x4M38

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to beat the drill bit with a very small torch tip then
allow to cool slowly? Will that take the temper out of the bit and
allow drilling out?
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: