Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor
TM9-8015-1 Clarification
Wiper motor...which is the correct one?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Modified M38A1 Operators Manual
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Modified M38A1 Operators Manual
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thunderbird712

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Modified M38A1 Operators Manual Reply with quote

So I came across this Operators Manual for a Modified M38A1. It was from the Willys Overland Export Corporation. It is in really good shape. The manual looks to be for a CJ-5 but never mentions it as a CJ. As the pictures show it goes into all the possible accessories you can attach using a PTO, 12 volt system and everything else expected from on Operators Manual. Was the CJ-5s exported as CJ-5s? The rest of the manual shows features as a CJ-5 such as the gauage cluster etc. I only had heard it as a M38A1 or CJ-5 and not referenced in any other way.

nealseale

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Great find. Would it be possible/legal to scan it and post it in the download section??
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many M38A1's and CJ5's were exported. Some with 6V and some with 12 V and some with 24V.

It would be nice to get a quality scan of the entire manual.

The first inside page that will show manual title/number and purpose would be nice to see.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Thunderbird712

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just saying I never heard of a jeep referenced as a Modified M38A1. At least in an official term.

As far as manual title/number and purpose this manual has no number such as the TMXXXXX or SMXXXX on any pages. The first page is a picture of a M38A1 and then the second page is the second picture I posted which gets to the Manual Supplement. There is a few pages talking about different features of the M38A1. Then gets to the Manufacturer Warranty and then what is shown in the Table of Contents picture.

I can certainly scan the manual and get it to you Wes. Its 80 pages so I just have to figure out how to get it done and will pass it along.
4x4M38

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes it's just as easy to stick something like that on a thumb drive and mail.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have scanned and converted many manuals to PDF files over the last 20 years. If you are lucky it's a loose leaf manual and you can just load the stack of pages in the feeder tray on a fancy scanner/copier and hit the switch. But a lot of the manuals I have loaded to this site's free download page were hard bound and holding 200 to 300 pages tight against the scanner screen for a couple of hours was a real treat but we need the manuals and I do what is needed.

If you are unable to scan it you can mail the copy you have to me, I'll scan it, PDF it and post it here and mail the hard copy back to you.

It has been my intent since founding the original Yahoo M38 group in 1996 and this group with Ryan in 2005 to provide all our members with all tech data appropriate to their M series jeeps at no cost. It has ate up a lot of our time but I still feel it is worth it!

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Thunderbird712

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the main reasons I bought the manual was to share it here since it doesn't seem to be very common. It's the least I can do to take the time to scan it for all the info I get from here. Unfortunately it's an original hard bound manual. I just have to figure out how to scan it into one file. Shouldn't be hard to figure out.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said above the hard bound manuals you can only lay them flat on a flat bed scanner starting with the cover then scan one page at a time. The 5x7 manuals you can scan two pages at a time but you must hold the manual page tight against the scanner glass to insure a good scan. This is usually at the spine of the book where it will lift away from the scanner and come out distorted.

My flat bed scanner.

Holding / pressing on spine of manual powards the scanner glass.

I have more photos here on this topic:
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album506&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Thunderbird712

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scanned copy has been emailed so it can be included on the site.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it. Thanks. I figured the manual out.

1-The supplement section depicts the actual exported Modified M38A1 unit. That is the first section of the manual pages S-1 thru S-15. It makes it clear that when using the manual the items as they appear in the S-1 thru S-15 pages is the Modified M38A1 as exported.

2-Then it tells you when what you are looking for is not listed in pages S-1 thru S-15 that you should go to the basic CJ5 service information manual page 5 TOC which consists of the last part of the manual after page S-15 and includes pages 4 thru 77 and the appendix alphabetical index and two vehicle maintenance record pages. I have to assume that the cover constituted pages 1 and 2 and page 3 is missing. Page 3 would have had the manual title, number and date as well as any revision level reached.

She's loaded to our download page under M38A1 Manuals: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=63&min=0&orderby=titleA&show=10

southpw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, since we are talking manuals, i dont see the SM-1002 civi manual in the download section that i sent you?
Thunderbird712

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't gotten a chance to fully read through the manual since I got it. Thank you for the explanation.

I didn't realize that it was missing pages 1-3 Embarassed . So I took a look at the manual thinking I skipped some pages and page s-15 and page 4 are on the same page (cant tell that from the scanned version). Also shows no signs of a missing page before page S-1. Whatever the case maybe I will keep an eye out for another one to compare.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only pages I think are missing are page 2 (back side of cover) and page 3 (which normally had the manual title, number and rev level).

But a great find anyway and I would bet money it is the manual that Brinken would love to have for his Saudi M38A1.

http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=10610

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad,
My BAD. It's up now under "Related Civilian Manuals: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=69

The specific link for the SM-1002 is: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=168

cabinfever

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasn't there been some discussion in the past about whether there are passageways between the transmission and transfer case in M38A1s? Some members have experienced oil flowing out of the transfer case refill hole when the plug is removed thinking the excess oil is coming from the transmission.

Near the bottom of page 22 the "Modified" manual it states their is a drilled passageway between the two units. In addition, the lubrication chart (p. 24 & 25) shows lubing both units - as one unit - from the transfer case.
Steve Stark - 1955 M38A1 MD #85388

Member - MVPA #35153
Member - Red Bull Historic Military Vehicle Association
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: