Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Bell Housing identification help?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bell Housing identification help?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the serial number on the engine in your 2A right now?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
mbullism

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesk wrote:
What is the serial number on the engine in your 2A right now?

The block is a 641087 L W11 A NI CR N2 casting, ESN #3532992 on the waterpump boss... it has a tag on the passengers side that has been painted over but is legible enough to identify as Kaiser supersonic, and has the same ESN on it.

FWIW, the head is a Kaiser supersonic as well... I think they are a matched set out of a '52ish Kaiser Henry J sedan, but all the bolt ons appear to be 2A (intake, mech advance distributor, starter, etc...)

My chances of finding a 2A serialed block around J71297 (late october '46) are pretty slim, so I'm going to rebuild the Kaiser and keep it as part of the history of how the jeep came to me... in that sense, it's "original"

(a.k.a. "civilian motor pool", lol)
rgmutchler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike said the engine he is going to use until his 2A engine is rebuilt is a gen set serial # RMC105103. Did the Model C replacement motors also get used in the gen sets. I thought the gen sets had different intakes and cams.
Just curious.
http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=rgmutchler&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
mbullism

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A different cam would scramble my plan for sure... it was my understanding the block and running gear are standard fare. Being undersquare, built for low end torque more than top end hp a different cam wasnt required (or so ive read, lol)...they were detuned to run 1800rpm at 30hp with a restricted intake, smaller carb and different head. My industrial head is marked 6.48, standard compression ratio but the combustion chamber is visibly different at the cylinder end which I guess effects burn rate...

(A.K.A. please dont tell me the cam is different, lol)
rgmutchler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question is based on a engine block serial number starting with RMC. I thought all those engines were replacement engines that were ordered on the contracts for the M38 and that the gen set engines were different. The statement about the cam is only what I was told, not what I know. I only included it to indicate that I understood there were differences between the vehicle engines and the gen set engines.
http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=rgmutchler&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
mbullism

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding regarding replacement under contract is the same, though I have read that some "new" engines were diverted for use in gensets... I think I read it here, but cant recall, my initial research was far and wide so I cant provide a cite im afraid.

I'll have to get inside the parts lists and compare numbers...
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RMC engines delivered as part of military contracts were stored at Army distribution centers. When a motor pool needed an L-134 they just ordered a replacement from spares at the distribution center which would ship a new RMCXXXXX or a depot rebuilt MCXXXXX or RMCXXXXX. Made no difference weather for a M38 or an industrial engine application on a Gen set or welder or pump.

L134
Cam PN for industrial engine 641284
Cam PN for the MC/RMC engines 641284

Intake for industrial engine A-1166
Intake fro MC/RMC engine 800365

Carb for industrial engine 636SA or Z-636W
Carb for MC/RMC engine YS637S

Head for industrial engine 807763 (CR 6.48:1)
Head for MC/RMC engine 800376 (CR 6.48:1)

Industrial engine HP @ 4000 RPM = 60; HP @ 2000 RPM = 40
Industrial engine gross torque @ 2000 RPM = 105 Lbs. Ft.

MC/RMC engine max brake HP @ 4000 RPM = 60
MC/RMC engine Max torque @ 2000 RPM = 105 Lbs. Ft.

F134
Cam PN for industrial engine 800517
Cam PN for the MD/RMD engines 800517

Head (intake) fro industrial engine 937454 (CR 6.9:1)
Head (intake) for MD/RMD engine 806266 (CR 7.4:1)

Carb for inustrial engine 938S, 938SA, 938SC, 938SD or Z-938W.
Carb for MD/RMD engine YS950S

Industrial engine HP @ 4000 RPM = 72; HP @ 2000 RPM = 45
Industrial engine gross torque @ 2000 RPM = 114 Lbs. Ft.

MD/RMD engine max brake HP @ 4000 RPM = 72
MD/RMD engine Max torque @ 2000 RPM = 114 Lbs. Ft.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
mbullism

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, WesK! All gold, lol. Took me a week to put together just a fraction of that Laughing

The thing that surprised me was the hp/torque comparison...

One question- I get that a motorpool may request a replacement L134 for a genset from stock... any truth to my understanding that some new engines were utilized for genset production? It stands to reason that if they would replace a genset engine with a stock shortly block that they would be producing gensets with stock short blocks. (Aka, would an RMC have found its way new into a genset? It goes towards my understanding of this engines history vs the genset hour meter...)

Thanks in advance-

MB
rgmutchler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if a motor pool needed a gen set engine and an RMC was sent would the intake, head and carb be changed out to provide the engine performance or would it just go in like it came of the redepot.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the job was done correctly the parts were swapped at install. Most Willys/Kaiser industrial engines were provided to the contractor building the Gen sets and welders with a plate on the block ID'g it as an industrial engine. I have not seen one of these plated engines up close to determine what serial numbers were on the water pump boss. It stands to reason the original supplied engines would have been civilian based. Their use in a military contract did not occur until they were installed in a gen set or welder the Army contracted for with someone other than Willys/Kaiser.

The info I posted for the industrial engines comes from the Kaiser publication IS-1009 dated 1969.

Here's an example of a willys/kaiser side tag on an industrial engine used in a 1963 hesse compressor. The engine is a 1960's casting # 903752 with a replacement 3A serial number R3J 1769_8

mbullism

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It stands to reason the original supplied engines would have been civilian based. Their use in a military contract did not occur until they were installed in a gen set or welder the Army contracted for with someone other than Willys/Kaiser.

Can't argue the logic, but that goes directly to the history of my RMC... the genset hour meter shows 838 hours (if I believe it worked until the end).

A jeep doing 40mph for 838 hours would travel 33,520 miles, but the gensets only ran 1800rpm or so. The physical wear could be expected to be less in mileage. When I removed the industrial head and valve cover there is no discernible wear...no ring ridges, no shiny surfaces at contact cam to lifter etc., all standard spec bore and pistons. The only thing that shows any real visual wear is a shiny spot on the fuel pump cam lever, but it wont catch a fingernail. Following the logic that they originally shipped with civy engines and my RMC was a motorpool replacement, it can be expected to have less than the 838hrs (again, assuming the meter is correct). I have yet to plastigage the rods and mains, but that is on the agenda.

The thing that troubles me is I'd swear I'd read that completed military motors were shipped to generator producers for their inclusion (though I cannot substantiate that), as well as so many WWII vintage pe-95's seem to have MB engines in them (Though that makes more sense given the evolution of the L134 as a "go devil" vs pre WWII).

In any event, it is what it is at this point. I appreciate the info, I'd always prefer to have more than I need rather than sully forth in the dark Very Happy

Mike
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always the problem with stepping into a 50 year old engine's history with little to no evidence left to support any theory 100%. Supposition is all we have. Did your RMC engine have an industrial data plate on it's side?

rgmutchler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes and Mike
Thanks for the info, it was a matter of curiosity about the RMC engine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: