Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor
TM9-8015-1 Clarification
Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - carb flooding problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

carb flooding problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mbbuilder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: carb flooding problem Reply with quote

Fuel problem. I have a 44 willys mb. After starting up, fuel will come out of the fuel float cover on the carb. I have adjusted float level, changed needle and seat and float. I even took a carb off of my CJ3a, which was working fine and put it on the mb and still have fuel coming from float cover. I am using a mechanical fuel pump (only 2 years old) and an electric pump. Unhooked electric pump and still have same problem. I am wondering, can a fuel pump put out too much pressure?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a stock Carter WO on your jeep?

Where on the bowl cover does the fuel come out?

What is the measured fuel pump pressure at the carb inlet?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
mbbuilder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stock WO. Fuel coming out from cover over linkage for metering rod and around screws for float cover. Trying to locate gauge to measure fuel pump pressure.
scoutpilot

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you have taken the carb apart and cleaned it a few times there are a few things I want you to look at. Number one, pull the float pin and examine it. Look for grooves at the locations where the float legs have been rotating on it. A grooved float pin won’t allow a steady float setting of 3/8”. If this condition exists, you must replace the pin. Secondly, look at the tang of the float that contacts the needle and inspect it for a gouge or deep scratch. This condition will catch the edge of the needle and tilt it such that it will become cockeyed in the seat and not seal correctly. The fix for this is some emery cloth used to polish the scratch/gouge out. Third. Check the float’s integrity. Bring a small pot of water to a near boil, and while holding a leg of the float with a pair of pliers, submerge it in the near boiling water and watch for a steady stream of bubbles emanating from anywhere on the body. Ignore the tiny bubbles rising from the pot itself. You’re looking for a stream. If it leaks, you have two alternatives. Repair with solder, or replace.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: