Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Where to buy axle tube relief fitting
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where to buy axle tube relief fitting
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
southpw

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:25 pm    Post subject: Where to buy axle tube relief fitting Reply with quote

I can't seem to locate the proper relief valve that goes near the end of the rear axle tubes. I suspect a grease fitting of proper thread will work to add lubricant but need to plug the upper hole with the relief vent. Previous owner used grease fittings on both holes which explains why the seals all blew up.
The part is in fig 11-2 item A, part #587310. It says it's in group 1105.5 but I can't find that group in the ORD 9.
Anyone know where to get these little relief fittings? Also haven't located the front and rear elbow and valve for the differential cover so if anyone knows who sells those(and maybe a link) I would appreciate the input.
Brad
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
part #587310. It says it's in group 1105.5 but I can't find that group in the ORD 9

ORD 9 SNL G-740 page 234. It's a bit harder to find. Note that it is not a vent valve. It is a lubrication pressure relief valve rated at 1500 Lbs. Originally that bearing void was greased with a grease gun and that valve was designed to release the grease at a certain pressure. It didn't always work as advertised and motor pool mechanics were blowing the out axle seals pretty regular. The Army came out with MWO ORD G1-W43 to replace the grease zerk with a plug and changed the lube chart to show that they got handed packed every 12,000 miles. I would just use a standard axle vent as used on the diff cover there from now on

Quote:
Also haven't located the front and rear elbow and valve for the differential cover so if anyone knows who sells those

The Valve ORD# 5196397, Spicer# 16979, SW# G131000, NSN 4820-00-726-4719 & WO# A870 is easy to find when you google 5196397 vent you get a few hundred hits.
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=5196397+vent+
Get the vent first so you can be sure of the thread size for the female side of the elbow. The Ord 9 calls for the elbow femal side as inverted flare but the valve shown below has 1/8" P thread.

The elbow is a standard 1/8" Male Pipe to inverted flare ORD# 137419. It will be in the standard Weatherhead/Eaton master catalog under the Inverted flare brass fitting section. Here's a link to their complete master catalog in PDF. I suggest you download it and keep it handy.
http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@eaton/@hyd/documents/content/pll_1015.pdf

There is another MWO for the rear diff vent adding a baffle inside the cover.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
southpw

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wes. I now see group 1105.5. I can't believe I didn't see it as I was looking right at it before posting.
Iwill take your advise and replace the grease zerk that previous owner installed and put in a breather like the differential uses with the proper threads. I would not want to be removing axle shafts to lubricate that bearing on a regular basis as its quite a lot of work to disassemble components to do so.
As for the differential vent, both my axles have the 90 degree elbow already but Bubba put some sort of brake line into it and then a 1" long tube over that. I can understand what they were trying to achieve with doing this but it looks ridiculous. I have run long vent tubes out of my axles before and fed lines as high as possible to avoid water contamination while off roading. But I have no intentions of seeing my axle get submerged in dirty swamp water, especially after all the time and money I am spending on rebuilding them back to factory condition.
What is the purpose of the baffle inside the diff cover? Was this implemented to avoid loss of oil through the vent?
Thanks again
Brad
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Also the pilot model M38's had those diff vents plumbed all the way to the air filter.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
RonD2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My jeep has zerks where the relief valves are supposed to be and plugs where the zerks are supposed to be.

I see Wes's post and where ORD9 says the relief valve is rated at 1500 pounds (assume that means PSI?). Is there any chance that 1500 is a typo? Might be 15 pounds? It seems to my novice grape that all the cautions not to over pump it up with grease and blowing the seals would be much more likely with a 1500 pound valve in place instead of a 15 pound valve? Would it be ok to use a 5 pound valve, or even 1 pound valve to lessen the chance of blowing the seal?

I found these at http://saeproducts.com/pressure-relief-grease-fittings.html and they also seem to be commonly available through Grainer, McMaster-Carr, etc.

I haven't decided to apply the MWO to my jeep as I'm considering the benefit (if I'm not heavy-handed with the grease gun) of being able to grease it without a tear down for the 2000 miles a year it's going to be driven.

Not trying to re-engineer the design here.........just asking. Your advice always appreciated!

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would simply install a 1/8" pipe plug in the top hole with a 0.040 orifice drilled in it. This way wether you forget or remember the relief issue when greasing the bearing, as soon as the bearing cavity is full of grease it will ooze out the orifice. If you lube regularly the cavity will not have room for moisture if you like fording your jeep a lot. If you regularly submerge your jeep then use a 5 lb relief valve.

RonD2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, thank you! No intent to ever ford the jeep, but this area is known as the "Low Country" so one never knows. I think I'll go with the 5 pounder just to be safe. I'll note in my logbook the different part number installed and see how it works over time.

http://saeproducts.com/grease-fittings-H20047200.html

--- Enzo Ferrari

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice the description does not indicate if it is a one time pop valve or a resettable pop valve.

From the same web site:
Quote:
Pressure Relief Grease Fittings are commonly used on gear box housings and bearings, (such as king pins, universal joints, etc.), where excessive lubricant pressures are not desirable. These safety valves open at pre-determined pressures shown in the table below and can be used with either oil or grease. Pressure Relief Grease Fittings are also referred to as Pressure Relief Zerk Fittings, Pressure Relief Lubrication Fittings, and Pressure Relief Grease Zerks.

RonD2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll call them and ask --- then post the answer. They're local to me Conway SC.

Shocked Hey, hold the phone! You aren't sending me out for a sky hook or a yard of flight line are you? Laughing

Ok, I called them. The gentleman didn't even laugh when I asked so I guess the question is legit. Yes, the valve resets itself (closes) when pressure drops below the max. Price is .75 each, minimum buy is 100. They told me Fastenal also carries them if less quantity is needed, Fastenal Part No. (SKU) 4138226, $4.90 for a bag of 5.

https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/4138226?term=grease+fitting&pageno=1&r=~|categoryl1:"603582 Power Transmission 9and Motors"|~ ~|categoryl2:"610430 Grease Fitting Products"|~ ~|categoryl3:"610434 Grease Relief Fittings"|~

McMaster-Carr is $1.70 each, P/N 1093K1 (Meets Mil-Spec), Pressure-Relief Vent, Zinc-Plated Steel, 1/8" PTF, 1/2" Overall Height, 1 to 5 PSI
http://www.mcmaster.com/#1093k1/=1160j1b

--- Enzo Ferrari

Last edited by RonD2 on Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You aren't sending me out for a sky hook or a yard of flight line are you? Laughing

A bucket of prop wash will work!

4x4M38

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or a can of striped paint.....
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
4x4M38

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes,
Will a 1/8" NPT fitting seal properly in an inverted flare fitting?

The ell you show is inverted flare according to the specs. If the valve is 1/8" NPT, shouldn't the ell be 1/8" NPT female?

Or is that for the factory class jobs?

Tks,
Brian
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian,

You gotta start reading through the whole post before posting a followup!

Quote:
The Valve ORD# 5196397, Spicer# 16979, SW# G131000, NSN 4820-00-726-4719 & WO# A870 is easy to find when you google 5196397 vent you get a few hundred hits.
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=5196397+vent+
Get the vent first so you can be sure of the thread size for the female side of the elbow. The Ord 9 calls for the elbow femal side as inverted flare but the valve shown below has 1/8" P thread.

Tapered pipe thread means the threads are tapered towards the end and were never meant to be used in any straight threaded fitting.

4x4M38

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes,
I did read all of that but was still confused. Just wanted to clarify.

What you are saying makes sense if it's acceptable to get a valve with
NPT and match the ell.

Thanks,
Brian
jaycee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont own a willys jeep but own a 1990 j24a. it has offset flange axle of a dana 44 design made by mitsubishi. it has a zerk on each side that faces the rear. first time i greased it i was fairly nervous about blowing the seal out. i was surprised that there is a small hole drilled in the top of each bearing cavity that vents any excess grease. i was curious if it was supposed to be plugged but the parts book shows nothing in that location. i can only assume that the intent was the grease seals itself and the cavity. i mention this as maybe any valve you might install may figure out a way NOT to vent and as you are pumping away the worst occurs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: