Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor
TM9-8015-1 Clarification
Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - L134 roto cap valve spring retainers
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

L134 roto cap valve spring retainers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mbullism

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject: L134 roto cap valve spring retainers Reply with quote

RMC105103 M38 contract replacement L134, I think late '52.

All 8 valve springs have roto cap retainers on the bottom... two of mine are sticky/stuck and don't spin. I'm not finding them listed for the go devil.

Does anyone know if these are the same as the roto caps listed for the F134 hurricane exhaust valves?

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the looks of your valves & springs they are sticky because they have years of sticky gum stuck to them. Since disassembly is required to replace them I would disassemble and clean first. Then make two determinations. 1-Is there anything really wrong with them. 2-Are they stock Willys rotators (M38 & Early A1) or (Late M38A1) or aftermarket rotators. Can't mix & match parts.

Also, use the search button on the bar above the tech board and search for "rotator, valve" all terms where you can find this answer as well

http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=search&mode=results

Part numbers are listed in each of the ORD 9's for the Willys units.

If you lack these parts manuals they are available free on our downloads page:

M38 ORD 9 SNL G-740 http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=95
Page 39 Cap, rotator

M38A1/M170 ORD 9 SNL G-758 http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=87
Page 46 Cap, rotation

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
mbullism

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick feedback, WesK... I had tried to search here and only found one general reference to their use... my bad, I guess.

The pic is weeks old at this point, and not meant to be misleading. The one valve was found stuck open, soaked in atf/acetone and freed up. All the valves, springs, retainers are out...the valves have gone across a brass wire wheel and look really good cleaned up. One valve seat may need a little relap to clean it up, but that's down the line just now as I sort other items out.

Six of the rotocaps are free, one is a bit dodgey and another is effectively stuck. It turns, but the force required is at the edge of what I can apply with bare hands. The two hold out caps are soaking, but I'm anticipating replacing them.

So, my question was not in vain as I had previously no idea there was an early or a late version.

I'll check out the links you posted... thanks!

MB
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually there are 4 valve arrangements.

1-Early M38 no rotators.
2-Late M38 and Early M38A1 Rotators
3-Late M38A1 & M170 Rotators
4-Aftermarket Rotators.

All the rotators above differ somewhat and the list of which parts can be used with them vary so careful reading of tech data and parts list is imperative.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
mbullism

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing late m38, then, this being RMC105103 seems late in the game...though I'm always wary of transitions and overlaps in such things. Thanks for the heads up on the 4 styles-

This engine came out of a genset, though I have to believe the valve train was in place before it was selected for genset duty and an industrial head put on it (?)

Unless...

It does have "F" and "G" stamps on the deck next to the cylinder bores which makes me wonder if it wasn't built specifically for "scut" work (including the valve train)
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M38 Engine serials were consecutive regardless of the MC or RMC prefix. As were the M38A1 with MD or RMD.

A RMC engine left Willys constructed for use on the m38 chassis. The Army would have taken the engine as configured from stock spares (long or short block version) and may have replaced the head with an industrial head. The industrial L134 used a 807763 head which was a 6.48:1 ratio.

mbullism

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so im seeing WO-800827 is listed as a rotator cap for exhaust valves on the M38, and the early M38A1. The later M38A1 is WO-802587, which doesn't appear in the M38 listing.

I don't see any rotator cap listed for intake valves for either, though I seem to have them, lol.

There are not two different exhaust valves listed for the M38, and only one spring listed for intake and exhaust, so it seems that the WO-800827 rotator cap retainer and the WO-800828 standard style retainer are interchangeable.

I guess the next step is to cross reference the WO-800827 with the civi Fhead...though still not sure what to make of the intake valve roto caps

ETA: WO-802587 (which look like what I have), are a later style Fhead exhaust rotocap (and use a different valve than the exhaust valve listed for the M38...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: