Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Crate Motor
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crate Motor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derstrom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Crate Motor Reply with quote

One of the pieces I got out of my barn find was a crate motor for an a1. The motor is a government contract rebuild, complete with new cab, clutch, alternator etc, etc. It was rebuilt about 35 years ago and dry stored ever since. My question for you is: what should we do with this motor to prep it before we try to start it? The scrap dealer told me they had 3 of these motors, one had a stuck valve, one ran fine, and then there's mine... Should i just put it in the the jeep and fire it up? Or turn it over by hand first? Pull the valve cover?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the engine was still in the shipping crate (you did call it a "crate engine") and still has cosmoline all over it then it is safe to assume it still has the protection of the depot pickling practice.

If not then assume nothing except you need to open the side valve cover the oil pan, and the top rocker cover and carefully inspect to determine if in fact it has not been run since it was overhauled and of course note anything you find wrong.

I would do this no matter how pretty it looked. Then using a big socket on the crank nut I would then turn her over with the plugs out for about 5 to 10 minutes then do a compression leak down test.

If all looks good then I would drop her in the chassis and fire her up.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Thunderbird712

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you get a chance would it be possible to put some pictures of the crate motor in your photo album? I would be interested in seeing it.
Derstrom

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a pic of the crate motor. It is a rebuild done on government contract. It wasn't treated with cosmoline but it was bagged and crated. There was an inspection tag where the bin rats inspected it in 1984.[/img]
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use your full size image URL to post the pic:

Looking at this engine I will re-emphasize what I said above:
Quote:
If not then assume nothing except you need to open the side valve cover the oil pan, and the top rocker cover and carefully inspect to determine if in fact it has not been run since it was overhauled and of course note anything you find wrong.

I would do this no matter how pretty it looked. Then using a big socket on the crank nut I would then turn her over with the plugs out for about 5 to 10 minutes then do a compression leak down test.

Note the 3 groove pulleys and 100 amp alternator.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Last edited by wesk on Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Thunderbird712

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for adding a picture of it. Always like to take a look at stuff like that.
Derstrom

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also in the crate was a matching set of 3 fan belts, and a NOS clutch pack. The engine is complete, including starter alternator, carb etc. Etc. I bought a nice little engine stand today and I plan on getting it indoors for preservation asap.

Note that the engine is painted grey. The old bell housing was grey as well. I was wondering is this a Canadian thing or did they paint U.S. Motors this color as well?
BCA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your engine is typical of rebuilds done in 1984-1986 era by Bennett and Hanson in Smith Falls Ontario (perhaps other commercial rebuilders too). The accessories are unlikely to be new: good used or repaired as required. Not all of the engine was necessarily rebuilt: just what was needed. So best to check everything. The 3-pulley drive belts were typical of 1967 M38A1 CDN2 and 1970 M38A1 CDN3 jeeps. ... Brian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: