Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Speedometer
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Speedometer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
regor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Speedometer Reply with quote

I'm hoping for some advice on my speedometer cable.
My Manuel give the following advice:
Serial #44033 and below; part #7527480, 54 1/4" long
Serial #44032 and above; part #7389881, 56 3/4" long

My problem is my cable presently is 58 3/4" long and appears to be short (maybe) The speedo turns with a drill from the bottom and jacking up the jeep and checking the cable from the top, it turns? But when hooked up the speedo doesn't work?

Thanks!!
1951 M38 #23945

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album271&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regor,

If the cable turns your speedo it's ok. If the cable is not driven by the transfer case's speedo gear then the speedo gear set in the transfer must come out.

You will need to remove and inspect SS, TT, & UU then inspect the drive gear still inside the transfer HH.

You will need to determine condition and determine if the transfer is actually rotating gear HH.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
regor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Speedometer cable Reply with quote

Wesk, I guess I didn't explain very well.
I tested the drive in the transfer case by jacking up the jeep putting it in gear and then checking the cable at the speedometer at the dash and the cable was turning. What did you think about my cable being 58 and three-quarter inches long? Thanks for your reply.
1951 M38 #23945

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album271&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Xamon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens if you take out the speedo and manually spin the fitting, a fast twist should get a reading, I can make mine bounce up to 35.
4x4M38

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do know the cable has to turn counterclockwise for the speedo
to function correctly.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
regor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: speedometer Reply with quote

Yes; I know that the speed cable turns counter clockwise looking at the end of the cable at the transfer case. For a more detailed account of this issue, please see my post this morning at the "G".
1951 M38 #23945

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The speedo turns with a drill from the bottom

Are you saying with the speedo connected to the drive cable and a drill connected to the lower end of the drive cable that the speedo functions smoothly?

Quote:
jacking up the jeep and checking the cable from the top, it turns?

Are you saying that with the speedo disconnected from the drive cable and the drive cable disconnected from the transfer case you can turn the cable from the top?

Quote:
when hooked up the speedo doesn't work?

The needle does not move at all?

1 - Have you grasp the inner cable at both ends at the same time and tried to rotate them in opposite directions?

2 - With the drive cable attached only to the transfer how much linear play is there in the cable?

3 - Which components do you have installed at the transfer case?

4 - What is the exact length of the inner cable?

5 - What is the exact total length of the outer casing, not including the nuts?

The only way a longer cable assembly will be too short is if it is not routed properly.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
regor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: speedometer Reply with quote

wesk wrote:
Quote:
The speedo turns with a drill from the bottom

Are you saying with the speedo connected to the drive cable and a drill connected to the lower end of the drive cable that the speedo functions smoothly? YES

Quote:
jacking up the jeep and checking the cable from the top, it turns?

Are you saying that with the speedo disconnected from the drive cable and the drive cable disconnected from the transfer case you can turn the cable from the top? NO! (TEST) SPEEDO CABLE IS DISCONNECTED FROM THE SPEEDOMETER. SPEEDO CABLE IS CONNECTED TO THE TRANSFER CASE. JEEP JACKED UP, TRANSMISSION IN THIRD GEAR, TRANSMISSION, TRANSFER CASE, REAR DIFFERENTIAL TURNING. OBSERVING THE UPPER END OF THE CABLE AT THE SPEEDOMETER. THE CABLE IS TURNING INDICATING THAT THE CABLE DRIVE IN THE TRANSFER CASE IS OPERABLE.

Quote:
when hooked up the speedo doesn't work?

The needle does not move at all?

1 - Have you grasp the inner cable at both ends at the same time and tried to rotate them in opposite directions? NO

2 - With the drive cable attached only to the transfer how much linear play is there in the cable? ?

3 - Which components do you have installed at the transfer case?

4 - What is the exact length of the inner cable? 58 3/4"

5 - What is the exact total length of the outer casing, not including the nuts?
I COULDN'T KNOW WITHOUT REMOVING THE CABLE HOUSING.

The only way a longer cable assembly will be too short is if it is not routed properly.

WES; PLEASE OBSERVE MY LAST POST ON SPEEDOMETER CABLE ON THE "G".
TOO MUCH TO TRY TO DUPLICATE HERE. THE FACT THAT MY CURRENT CABLE DOES NOT MATCH EITHER OF THE LENGTHS STATED IN THE MANUEL IS DISCONCERTING. THE FACT THAT MY CURRENT CABLE IS 4 1/2" LONGER THAN THE CABLE STIPULATED IN THE MANUEL (54 1/4") FOR MY JEEP IS ADDITIONALLY DISCONCERTING. THE FACT THAT OUR FRIEND BEN DOVER AT THE "G" OFFERS THAT THE LATER M38 CABLE WHICH ALSO IS USED IN THE A1 AND KNOWING THAT THIS CABLE SHOULD ACCORDING TO THE MANUEL BE 56 3/4" LONG AND MINE IS 58 3/4" LONG IS DISCONCERTING. OF COURSE, WHO KNOWS WHAT HAS TRANSPIRED DURING THE PAST SIXTY FIVE YEARS. VERY LIKLEY THE ANSWER TO THIS DILEMMA IS TO START OVER ALBIET EXPENSIVE. ANOTHER POST HAS JUST COME IN FROM THE "G'. I'LL GO SEE WHAT HAS TRANSPIRED THERE.
1951 M38 #23945

southpw

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost ruined my new 60" speedo cable. I know it is likely to long but I am sure i will find room to tuck the excess away somewhere.
So I installed the cable to the back of speedo, took my drill and tried spinning the cable from transfer side. It twisted all up inside the rubber cover. Before any more damage could occur, i tried turning by hand and couldnt get speedo to turn. Disconnected cable and found a square file and used the square end that handle would usually attach and found I needed alot of force to free up the speedo that has been sitting idle for years. Could your speedo be siezed?

Edit... I see you have a free speedo so it is not siezed. Please disregard my post

Last edited by southpw on Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
4x4M38

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regor,
Did you purchase the 58-3/4" cable assembly new in the package or
was it used, or came already with your vehicle?

And as Wes points out if your two drive parts in the transfer do not match
it is possible for you to turn the speedo with the cable from the transfer end
but when everything is fitted up it won't work.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regor,

Just as you feel it is a pain to replicate your G503 posting here it is a pain for most of us to bounce back and forth.

I can't offer any more help without you posting complete answers to my questions here.

If you wish to try a simple test just substitute another speedo.

I find nothing disconcerting about a speedo cable assy 2" too long. What I do find disconcerting is you said it is too short. This is why I posted the reference to proper routing.

regor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject: Speedometer cable Reply with quote

Oops! Sorry Wesk. Thank you!
1951 M38 #23945

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: