Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor
TM9-8015-1 Clarification
Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - My new project: 1964 USMC M38a1
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My new project: 1964 USMC M38a1
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few pics of the Jeep after the first coat of 24052 - still wet of coarse. This will be old news for those of you that follow my blog.

I painted the inside of the hood at the same time, then painted the outside of the hood, interior, tool box and battery box covers the next day.

'51 USMC M100 trailer, '54 M100 trailer, '90 M101a1 trailer
Http://wilfreeman.wordpress.com (M38a1 build blog)
http://m38a1usmc.wordpress.com (USMC M38a1 rebuild blog)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
4x4M38

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty! Figured it was the Colonel's jeep!

Next the chrome headlight rings!

Laughing
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol - yeah, she's pretty glossy in those pics, but had flattened out when I went out to the shop a couple of days later. And trust me, it's not perfect enough for an officer! But anyhow - thanks for the compliment!

I did a thorough inspection and found some places that still need some work and a BUNCH of places in the interior that didn't get covered or need resanding, so my one coat plan on the interior didn't work out.

I'm hoping to get out to the shop this weekend to do a little something on her, but my wife wants to paint my daughter's bedroom too - so we know which comes first!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Xamon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why the jeep of course. Cool
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing That's what I think too, but as long as mama is happy, everybody is happy!
4x4M38

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering how long Xamon has been married!
Very Happy
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
RonD2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe he named his jeep "Mama"? Shocked

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

Xamon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

21 years. So yeah I know who the real boss is or my jeep would be half way back together by now. Smile
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I was visiting QTM Parts last week while in the area to pick up some small parts and paint. While talking to Matt, I showed him a picture of the cowl stencil. He said he has seen these markings plenty of times - it is a US military long term storage marking. He also said there should be a stencil on the hood for antifreeze? I tried to look up the manual (I forget the #, but could only find the latest versions, like 2007 and 2014 - not a 60s-80s version).

I want to stencil this 'a1 the way it was when it was given to the fire department (which was the 2nd coat of paint over the 24052), including all of the storage markings. I already have the paint masks for the driver cowl and driver rear.

So, I guess my question is: Does anybody on here have an original storage manual (or knowledge) that could look up what should be stenciled on the Jeep for long term storage other than the cowl and rear panel markings?

[url][/url][url][/url]
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the Jeep to my brother's shop on Saturday to get the paint on her. I sprayed 2 coats. The first coat was a light coat that turned out kind of flat after drying for a half hour or so. The second coat turned out glossy in certain places and semigloss everywhere else. I know that it will flatten out as time goes on and the paint finishes curing. I have a few sanding scratches in the hood as well as a couple of dry spots (my fault - not holding the gun flat). Overall I'm happy with it.

I got it home after church on Sunday and started reassembly. I got a lot done that day.

Yesterday, I repainted the dash to match the rest of the Jeep (I painted it with the Behr latex last year - turned out to be a hard, durable coating, but took a LONG time to completely cure). I also installed my new steering wheel and the passenger seat. I made a couple of gas can carrier spacers out of a 1" stainless bolt, but had to stop when the stainless dulled (and finally BROKE) my saw blade! I will go get another blade today and finish making those spacers and install the carrier. I'm also going to install the driver seat cushions and install the seat, reinstall the gauge cluster today. I am planning on going to a friend's house either tomorrow or Thursday to install my 5 replacement tires and paint the wheels to match the rest of the Jeep.

I have one question, but a little background info first. I blew out the fuel line going to the carb (because I lined the gas tank, installed a new stainless in tank filter and gas line from the tank to the main gas line), removed the inline gas filter before the pump and changed the gas filter before the carb. I left the one before the carb to make sure I had all of the crap out of the gas line before I installed my rebuilt carb. Next, I primed the gas line to the carb with my hand held fluid transfer pump and fired up the engine. It was surging a good bit, so I went around and looked at the engine. Gas was "spurting" into the inline filter. I figured that the pump was bad, so I pulled the newly rebuilt (by Midwest Military) pump off of my other Jeep and installed it on this one - I got the same result - "spurting" into the inline filter. So last night (the last thing I did) I installed my rebuilt carb (the gas was clear with no specs of anything in the filter) and fired up the engine. I am still getting the surging of the engine and "spurting" of gas into the inline filter. I haven't checked the fuel pressure, but I would think that the inline filter should stay full of gas?
ROBCDN3

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Wilf. I have the same problem. I hooked my pump up to a hose in a gas can and filled the filter right away. I think I have an air leak and the pump is pulling air between the pump and the pickup in the tank. More to come on this when it gets a bit warmer. Please post any fixes when you find the problem. Cheers Rob M38A1CDN3
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do! I actually thought about that when I was typing before. I'll check all of my connections today. I DID do a lot of disassembling lines while working on the tank, changing hard lines, flex line and pump - very possible for it to be pulling air somewhere.
4x4M38

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matt,
It is common for those inline fuel filters to not be
completely full of fuel when running.
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Brian. I'll shoot a video after while you show you what I'm talking about - it's like it spurts a little fuel in the filter and is immediately sucked out. Doesn't look right to me, but I'll let you all decide that.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are probably sucking air at the stand pipe fitting in the tank. It's the most overlooked fitting. Otherwise check every fitting for air leak between pump and tank including that shutoff valve. Make sure your tank vent system is functioning as well.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: