Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor
TM9-8015-1 Clarification
Wiper motor...which is the correct one?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - MB/GPW Questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MB/GPW Questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Announcements, News, Humor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, now I see a couple of problems here. Josh you sound like you have never pulled a cylinder head off let alone re-ringed a piston engine.

Quote:
I'm researching to understand what I'll need to do to replace those rings and how to assess if the pistons need to be replaced, aside from being cracked.

This is a job that must be done right if you are to get by at a reasonable cost investment. So you would be in a better position economically if you get a re-ring estimate from your local engine shop.

The MB/GPW's came with a chain drive cam. The M38 came with a gear driven cam. So the cam's drive the oil pump which drives the distributor in the opposite direction. The chain, sprockets, front timing cover, cam & oil pump are peculiar to the WWII engine.

The list of what's different on the WWII jeeps is very long. I would suggest you are in need of a great deal more research.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
whydahdvr

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes,
Indeed, more research. Nope, never had the opportunity or spaces, etc. to play with engines like that and pull them apart. I can navigate and sail a schooner from her across the Atlantic and have salvaged wrecks, but never pulled an engine apart. More used to working with wood, canvas, and rope than engines....

My first question, then, is, based on your experience, do you have serious reservations about buying a jeep like that?

I have a mechanic in my town that has helped a lot on my M38 so I have someone I can go to. I would like to do as much as I can myself but am feeling my way and have limited space to pull things apart.

If it smokes on acceleration what other things should I consider? I've been talking to Merlin Hanson of Hanson Mechanical, helping me look for a good jeep. He suggested it could be worn valve guides, worn stems, or worn piston rings. Based on what the current owner has shared Merlin feels it's likely the piston rings.

I just want to make sure before I buy the jeep and dump the time, effort, and resources into getting it back east that I'm making the right investment and decision.

Thanks.
1952 M38
1964 Apollo 5000 GT

De Opresso Liber
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way you can "Make sure" of any jeep is to put a Qualified set of eyes, ears & nose on it. Troubleshooting from the other side of the planet is also a fruitless adventure. If you do not want to buy the airplane ticket and go to the jeep for a pre-purchase inspection then hire it out to a local shop (one you choose). Give the seller the name and address of the shop you have chosen and have him take the jeep there.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Announcements, News, Humor All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: