Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Scored an NOS M38a1 winter enclosure kit last week!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scored an NOS M38a1 winter enclosure kit last week!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Scored an NOS M38a1 winter enclosure kit last week! Reply with quote

And I picked it up at the Post Office this morning. I expected the worst after pulling the original asphalt coated paper wrapped kit out of the box - it was falling apart! I would love to know when these were made.

Funny how it is labeled:

Despite the outside appearance, all of the canvas and plastic was in GREAT condition - as pliable as my new canvas and the plastic was pretty clear! Some of the metal hardware had some rust though. It came with the (almost) complete hardware kit too.

I couldn't stand it. After I finished my beer I was drinking while admiring my new (and final) piece of the puzzle, I had to start installing it. I installed the driver side curtain. No problem except my home made horizontal rod was not made right. I welded a lug for the vertical side curtain rod onto it - it's in the wrong place of course! I will have to cut that off and install the adjustable one that came in the hardware kit so that I can adjust the vertical rod so that it is VERTICAL and the ripples are out of the side curtain.

Next I temporarily installed the door in the upper hinge and secured it to the windshield. I marked where the turn buttons needed to be installed. I installed those one at the time and checked the position before I drilled the next hole. I pulled the door back off and installed the rope hinge in the windshield channel, installed the upper hinge and secured the turn buttons - then shut and secured it to the side curtain with the door handle. It was a tense moment while the canvas stretched and pulled into position on the frame. Nothing ripped or tore and it tightened up nicely! Now all I have to do is fiz the vertical rod problem and she'll look great - and finished!

I did a writeup with more pictures on my blog. Here are the links to the unboxing videos on YouTube:

https://youtu.be/H1BhG-sUN_o
https://youtu.be/r0J9aU5Wb_Q
'51 USMC M100 trailer, '54 M100 trailer, '90 M101a1 trailer
Http://wilfreeman.wordpress.com (M38a1 build blog)
http://m38a1usmc.wordpress.com (USMC M38a1 rebuild blog)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find. It was probably meant to be included in one of the 12V M38A1 overseas contracts IE Saudi units. Where did you find it?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe so. They must have been stored in a cool, dry and dark place since the materials are still in such good condition. The seller said the other guy's kit had rusty bits in the hardware kit and on the other metal parts, but it wasn't in the original packaging like mine either.

A guy on G503 forums had 2 for sale - I missed the first one but he just happened to have a second! He was located in Wisconsin.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
RICKG

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That IS cool Matt, Good On Ya!
oilleaker1

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find! Looks good too. Oilly
TGP

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!!!
Tom
"52" M37 WW
"47" WDX WW
My Album
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album471&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I almost bought a set of frames for 2/3 the price of this kit a few months ago - glad I didn't really have the $$$ to spend at the time!

After a night of being installed, the canvas has stretched and is not tight as a drum - I had to tighten the side curtain straps and the door didn't pop open when I turned the handle!

I removed the vertical side curtain rod lug this morning and replaced it with the adjustable bracket that came in the hardware kit. Doing this and plumbing the rod didn't really take the side curtain wrinkle out like I had hoped, but it looks better up close. I think my windshield is bent back a little - causing a little looseness in the top and the rear of the door to sag. Or is this normal and all doors need to be adjusted (bent) to fit the installation?

After looking at the pics, I can't believe how much the canvas has faded! It has only been installed for 5 years and has not really seen much outdoor use!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: