Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Want A quieter transmission and transfer case ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Want A quieter transmission and transfer case ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
42cckw

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Want A quieter transmission and transfer case ? Reply with quote

I replaced the oil in my transmission and transfer case with LUCAS 80/90 heavy duty transmission and differential lube , it said it is excellent for transfer cases. It has climbing technology that moves the oil to the top and all trough the gears , and I can't believe the difference with my jeep ,it is very much quieter and I am very Very Happy I am a believer

JIM
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been several dozen discussions just on our web site about the pro's and con's of using GL-3, -4, -5 Gear oils in gearboxes with brass or bronze (non-ferrous) metals because the sulphur content in these modern gear oils is too high. You may now enjoy quiet and smooth for a year or so but it won't take long until the old girl is popping out of 2nd gear again. Making it time to crawl under there and pull that tranny for a new synchronizer.

I would not risk an extra trip under the jeep to pull that transfer/tranny again for quiet and smooth. I get quiet and smooth with 60 weight racing engine oil with no sulphur issues.

Just google gear oil and sulphur issues to get up to speed on the subject.

http://www.lastgreatroadtrip.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/gear-oil-comparison.pdf

These gear oils were designed for the high surface pressure developed between two Hypoid gear sets. It is a wonderful lubricant for differentials. But why we waste our money on it for trannies and transfer that DO NOT HAVE any hypoid gear sets in them is absolutely ludicrous. Our trannies and transfer have a mix of helical and straight cut gears with no where near the surface pressures the Diffs experience.

When you do study the data avoid Gear oil manufacturer's propaganda sheets and stay with independent study reports.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Trip

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a"Certified Lubrication Engineer" with 40 years experience, I can verify Wes is exactly right. Pay attention and follow his advice.

Many companies claim their oils and greases are superior due to different additives and technology improvements. They are not. Sulphur additives attack bronze and brass and are corrosive to these metals as Wes explains.

Charles
52 M38
M38 recently acquired Some parts only, roller
67 CJ5
51 CJ3A
49 CJ2A
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: