Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Jeep in a box
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jeep in a box

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Announcements, News, Humor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
usma41

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Jeep in a box Reply with quote

For everyones information about all the stories about jeeps in a box being sold in the past, there are jeeps (M38's) in crates and they are stored at the Navy War Collage in Newport RI and they are NOT for sale. They took some out for the vietnam war and some went to NATO. The ones that went to NATO are coming back now and go for about $26,000 with only 6000 miles on them. You can tell a NATO M38 by the thick undercoating they put on them.
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is interesting.

Do you have any photos? I think that would be intersting to see how they prepared them for storage, etc.
davem201m38

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are been sold for 26,000 dollars I assume they must be 'on the market and on a list someplace 'I'd love to see one. I didn't know the M38 ever fitted a crate and assumed they were all moved 'whole'. Certainly UK use of flat fenders post war had them simply racked in stillages.

As for NATO use??? I'd be very surprised more likely UN use. In my younger days (Ah so long ago now.......) I worked with the UN on water resources and things. There were M38/A1s or may-be M606 round wings kicking about but I never even came across a mutt as that was too old even for them. The Indians did use there high bonneted Mahindras but those were about the only flat fenders I ever saw. Did see some French M201s but they were with French operatives.

As for returning kit, I never once saw that happen, even £200,000 ($300,000) drilling rigs with all their kit, casing, coring, wirelining and overworking and support were left 'in country' for the trained 'locals' once we'd left

And.. unless it was on admin duties I'd say 6000 miles would just about finish off a lot of vehicles (especially a 50 year old one) on UN duties unless it was a Landcrusier/Nissen etc. Use of local drivers etc which is important incase you run over a local. Also even the UN have Health and safety issues which an M38 would never measure up to.

Sometimes cancelled UN orders surface, I'm awear of some TD5 series land Rovers equiped with the old TDi 300 engine being used at a theme park that were a cancelled UN order. One UK dealer sometimes has ex UN kit but that's unissued kit (as far as I know) and never left the rebuild facility for issue in the field.

Some almost new M38s have surfaced in Italy where they still carry USMC livery, these occasionally turn up on epay and milweb but at top MB prices I've never seen one sold and and note after a couple of years the same ones are still advertised.
I'll watch with interest,
Hey Ho ,
Dave.
usma41

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, no photo's The Navy War Collage did not permit cameras at the time that I seen them. They are in two quanset huts . The jeeps in one and the wheels and tier' in the other.
TomM

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: which quonset hut Reply with quote

I live 2 miles from the War College and am frequently on base. Which quonset huts are you referring to?

Thanks
Tom
hillbilly21

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: m38 Reply with quote

Hey Ryan...wanna split on TWO of em. ????????
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Announcements, News, Humor All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: