Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - AN/VRC-7 installation instructions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AN/VRC-7 installation instructions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M606BR

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: AN/VRC-7 installation instructions Reply with quote

Recently I've got an AN/VRC-7 radio set which still works. Where can I get instructions about how to install it in a M38? I need some info and pictures as well. I've seen an installation picture using wood spacer blocks between the MT-300 mount and the rear fender well. Who knows the MT-300 spacer block dimensions? Is there any wood supports drawings for the MT-300?

I have all the stuff to install it, such as mast bases, mast sections, loudspeaker, handset, radio power cable, radio power cable guard etc., but I need the correct info in order to make it right.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Luiz Felipe
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an older set then what we usually find in M38's. I think that set debuted in 1949 and was probably installed in more MB's than M38's. However there is evidence it was installed in M38's as well. That's a high end of the FM band unit that only catches the normal freq's for the upper half of the infantry band. The TM you need is TM 11-285.

The VRC-8, -9, -10 and VRQ-1, -2, -3 were more common in the M38. These sets dated 50-55.

Here's a good web site where you can download those TM's free:
http://radionerds.com/index.php/AN~VRC-7

The wood spacer block dimensions will vary depending on where you intend to install the set. You should be able to determine the needed dimensions on your own by taking careful measurements of the bottom of the MT-300 and the top of the surface in the jeep you are mounting on.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
skyjeep50

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M606BR - here's a link to an earlier post with more information about mounting radios in your jeep including pics of my jeeps and radios. The blocks I used for the VRC-7 are oak hardwood 2x4's and as WES suggests, I just milled the lower surfaces to fit the ribs in my jeep. The VRC-7 was a radio primarily intended for armored vehicles, it has a short range - only about 1 mile. The tech manual for the radio (which I have a copy of) does mention installation in a M38.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=9349&highlight=vrc7
ChuckW

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote this article thaat appeared in issue 120 of Army Motors. AN/VRC-10, maybe it will help.

Dixie Division MVC #002
1952 M38/M100
M274A2
1964 CJ3B
M606BR

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys for all information you provided.
I will make my spacer blocks similar to the spacer blocks used with MT-299 mount. I will adapt the dimensions and make the holes for the MT-300 mount.

Luiz Felipe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: