Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - A father & son M38
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A father & son M38
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
m3a1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! That's the only logical explanation. We'll investigate that and report back to everyone with what we find.

Cheers,
TJ
m3a1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, as was pointed out to me by a more learned member (thank you, 45auto) and as you can see here, we have verified the cause of the damage to the king pin bearings. As it turns out, there are four longer bolts (3/8 - 24) that are meant to be used to secure the brake hose guard to the top of the bearing cap. Each brake hose guard requires (two longer bolts x two sides = four longer bolts). Apparently, because the metal of the brake hose guard is rather thick, they employed longer bolts.

If this is something you weren't aware of (like me Rolling Eyes ) it would be very easy to simply assume they were all the same and just put them back in where-ever, because these aren't much more than about 1/8" longer than the others, with a glob of grease on the end, who would know?

Oddly, the TM9-1804B makes no mention of the different bolt lengths or of the importance of assuring they get returned to the correct holes -page 103, paragraph 91 and page 138, paragraph 109.

However, it is specifically mentioned TM9-8012, page 265, line (5) and page 266, line (6) but, it appears to me the TM provides directions for using the longer bolt (1 5/8") for securing the king pin bearing cap and the shorter bolt (1 1/2") for securing the brake hose guard and that is absolutely incorrect.

Since the holes on the knuckles are threaded all the way through, my guess is that somewhere along the way, a maintenance work order was probably issued instructing that the longer bolts be exchanged for the other, shorter bolts but that is pure supposition.

Anyway - since there are four assemblies, each requiring four bolts total and since there are precisely four longer bolts, it is a mathematical certainty that if even one long bolt goes astray, there will be a damaged bearing. Apologies in advance to you die-hard Willys guys, but that's just a lousy design.

Here are the brake hose guards with the damaged one now straightened. Those are the old shims in the upper left of the picture. Since we are installing new bearings and cups, both sides must be reshimmed from square one. We cannot rely upon the values of the old shims to be correct with new hardware we'll be installing.

I know it's pretty bold talk to claim that a TM is incorrect but here is the proof - An interior view of the uppers, assembled properly with longer bolts securing the brake hose guard, but displayed here without shims so you can get a true sense of the bolt length. As you can see, if a longer bolt finds its way into any spot other than those for securing the brake hose guard, damage is virtually assured.

Here is my son, whittling grime off the bearing caps before cleaning them up on the wire wheel

And here is something you don't see every day. Stretched bolts! That's right, they start out being 3/8 - 24 and end up being approximately 3/8 - 16! That's WAY up there on the weird scale.

Last edited by m3a1 on Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:28 pm; edited 6 times in total
4x4M38

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tensile strength of that bolt must have been unbelievable!

It's mind boggling that damage to the knuckle wasn't catastrophic
with the torque on that bolt.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite that unimaginable. It is very easy to stretch a bolt by over torquing. And we do not know what grade that bolt is.

Most modern engines deliberately stretch their head bolts to obtain a correct and one time only torque setting since they must be discarded after that first & only stretch.

Situations like this instance where relying on old memories instead of attention to detail and using the manuals resulting in damage to the bearings is usually avoidable.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
m3a1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do! That's a grade 5 bolt!

Well, I think the true strength of the early Jeeps (and I don't necessarily exclude the modern stuff, because I know virtually nothing about them) is that, while each part may not be built like The Rock of Gibraltar, together they really share the load, making for a very robust little truck.

Of course, the WWII Jeeps, with the severe and strict limitations placed upon their design, are not everything they MIGHT have been and (don't hate me for this) they really don't hold a candle to the M38 which is, all in all, a much better product.

Despite all those wonderful qualities, a thoughtless person * using and working on them can inflict a lot of damage and yet, the truck will continue to soldier on just as mine has....warts and all. That's the real testament to the early Jeeps.

*Wes is certainly correct that relying solely on memory will create problems. I've not done it yet, but I'm going back into the TMs to see exactly what is said about this, just to satisfy my curiosity.

By way of example, there's a lot of talk about poor steering quality in these trucks. Looking at this system closely what I see is not a thing wrong with the design.

Now, it may be that poor stewardship, such as I've encountered here on my truck, has created problems that have lent credibility to the poor-steering-narrative and I'm sure mine isn't the only one with the swapped bolts and low standards of maintenance issues. And, of course we ARE driving trucks whose first home was always meant to be off road. So, I think the claims against the steering are a lot of horse hockey.

The M151 is in a similar category. Someone handed these solders a rather large ATV and took their solid axle Jeeps away and they had been racing around in those Jeeps for YEARS. So, naturally, they started driving the 151s around like hot rods as well. In retrospect, the results shouldn't have surprised anyone. They rolled them. The product was improved and they STILL rolled them. The product was improved again and they STILL ROLLED THEM!

Fly an aircraft outside it's design envelope, crack it up and everyone blames the pilot, but with the M151 series, blame was laid at the feet of the designers. I drive my M151A2 almost every day and I stay within the limitations of the truck and (Surprise! Surprise!) NO issues.

Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox. We are getting to one of my favorite places in these projects. Old parts that are now clean and shiny and inspected are beginning to pile up and new parts are starting to pile up. Yippee!
m3a1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone notice the coarse thread bolt in the picture of the bearing caps and bolts? Yeah....it was being used!
4x4M38

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did not, but that must be the "dirty little secret " that might lead to a
replacement knuckle, no?
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one?

Was the mating hole helicoiled to match course or was the course bolt forced into the fine threaded hole?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
4x4M38

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, that is a very astute question assuming Bubba did not give this
jeep the full treatment.

Inquiring minds wish to know?

Were you spared buying a new knuckle? Laughing
m3a1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You already know the answer! Bubba 'bubba'ed' it.
4x4M38

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhhh, Man......

One brief chance at doing the right thing,

Then,"Hey, here's a bolt!"
m3a1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Between the TMs being either vague, or absolutely wrong...and the poor design....and the mathematical certainty of it all.....AND Bubbas constantly and insistently involved, it seems that proper assembly of this part of these trucks is doomed to failure. Rolling Eyes Sheesh.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key word is Bubba. It took me awhile to find the Bubba definition I was looking for. Most only refer to short word for brother used for rednecks and low income, uneducated southern white boys. Here is what I was looking for:

Quote:
In gunsmithing, a crude attempt with inappropriate tools at repair or modification which results in damage, often serious or even dangerous. Also, a person who does such work, the generic name for any member of that population, or the name of the collective population.

Book or no book, mathematics aside, if a Bubba was wrenching on this jeep then this is what would happen.

4x4M38

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That covers it. Thanks Wes!

The other side of the coin is that Bubba, in whatever
form, has preserved? some of these vehicles,
so that one day a caring soul can bring them back from
extinction.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not believe Bubba and Preserved fit in the same sentence. A better word would be "retained in service" so that restorers in the future would be able to secure, restore and preserve!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: